Gradle 1.5 release outlook

We are already looking forward to the Gradle 1.5 release.

Some of the key features we are tackling include:

• Full module substitution in dependency resolution via dependency resolve rules. This powerful feature will solve some interesting use cases that have not been solved by any dependency management system out there. (Available in the latest Gradle nightly). - A Gradle Plugin Portal to improve the experience of publishing and using 3rd party plugins with Gradle. - Improvements to the new configuration on demand feature for speeding up large multi-project builds. Check out the design doc for more details. - The Gradle Bootstrap plugin will be polished and released as an incubating feature, allowing automatic POM conversion for simple Maven projects. - Continued work on the new Ivy Publish Plugin and Maven Publish Plugin. These plugins will allow for fine-grained manipulation of the artifacts and dependencies to be published to your artifact repository (design doc). - Make it easy for Java projects to produce multiple outputs, such as different variants for an Android application, or libraries targeting different runtimes (eg Groovy-1.8 and Groovy-2.1). See the design doc. - The current ‘Jetty’ plugin is limited in scope and ability. We plan to commence work on a full-featured ‘Gradle Deployment Plugin’ backed by Arquillian.

We’ll also be tackling some bug fixes:

The number of community contributions we receive for Gradle continues to increase. In 1.5 we’ll be working to incorporate more of the pull requests we get from our fantastic community members. We are very grateful to everyone who contributes, from small documentation fixes to major new plugin developments.

Of course, we may not find the time to do all of the above, and if time allows there is plenty more we’d like to tackle.

Several of the features and bug fixes are in progress and some are already functional. We work hard on maintaining backward compatibility, so why not try out the latest Gradle Nightly instead of waiting for Gradle 1.5. We update all of our documentation as we go, so you can always see what’s been completed in the Gradle Nightly Release Notes. Your early feedback would be most appreciated.

Any chances you move to Groovy 2.1 soon? I think the @DelegatesTo annotation on closure argument might finally bring some code completion possible to the IDEs!

Hi Wojciech,

It’s unlikely it will happen anytime soon. The complicating factor is that Groovy 2 is not backwards compatible with Groovy 1.x and therefore has the potential to break our backwards compatibility promise. We are looking at ways around this, but it’s hard to predict where this will go.

Thanks for your answer.

Right, Groovy 1.x scripts will probably break, but it seems that staying any longer in the dead end sounds even worse :frowning: I believe Gradle is one of two most popular Groovy projects (and the other one already migrated ;-)). I hope you find a solution soon.

Cheers

Any chance of tackling these 2 bugs, GRADLE-2357 and GRADLE-2193, in release 1.5??

Cheers :slight_smile:

I think you are right here better sooner than later. Before more people jump to Gradle? Maybe time to have a clear roadmap stating 1.x will be the last release to support Groovy 1.x and Gradle 2.x will not be backwards compatible. Major bugs will be fixed in 1.x but new features and enhancements will only be made to Gradle 2.x. With this statement and a timeline developers can make an informed decision and plan accordingly

Since 1.5 is already in release candidate phase, these issues will not be fixed in the upcoming release.

In general, we attempt to fix a few high priority and strategic issues with each release, while continuing to move Gradle forward with new features and capabilities. At times, this means that certain issues are not addressed as quickly as you may wish.

The best way for a Gradle user to move these issues forward is to work on a bugfix themselves, and submit a patch.

Our goal will be to decouple the Groovy version from the Gradle version, and to make the change in an opt-in way that is backward compatible. So you shouldn’t need to wait for Gradle 2.x in order to use Groovy 2.x.

However, this is a significant development effort, and competes with other major improvements for priority.

Hi! What is the planned release date for Gradle 1.5? I could not find it anywhere on gradle.org

Hi there! What is the planned release date for Gradle 1.5? I could not find the date on gradle.org