Security issues brought on by the plugin portal and the new 'plugins {}' syntax

EDIT: this thread mutated into a discussion of security issues with the plugin portal and the new (incubating) plugin mechanism introduced in Gradle 2.1.

please fast-forward to the first relevant post.

Hi,

I will soon be publishing some plugins. To expedite the process, could someone please register the following group ID prefix under my account?

account: Lanchon
group ID: com.github.lanchon

Please see here for proof of Github account ownership:
https://gist.github.com/Lanchon/2c1bf2d3bde0a37d063b

Thank you very much!

Hi Lanchon,

Thanks in advance for your interest.

We’ve got an automated process. Once you submit a plugin for publishing that specifies mavenCoordinates, it needs to be approved.

Please note however, if you don’t specify maven co-ordinates, we’ll automatically assign a group ID based on the group value specified for your plugin, and users can start using it straight away.

Best regards

Kon

i see, thanks for your help!
best,
L

hi again,

i published some plugins a few hours ago and im waiting for approval.

as i said i would, i published with a forced group ID that starts with: com.github.lanchon

i did this because your non-validation publishing is not documented anywhere. what would the group ID of my plugins be had i not specified maven coordinates? and what would the plugin IDs be? do i have to choose the plugin IDs in a specific way, or would you have prefixed my plugin IDs?

had you prefixed my IDs, would you have modified my artifacts? or is there support present in gradle to somehow map the public prefixed IDs to the private non-prefixed IDs existing within the artifacts you host?

thank you!

hi!

so a day went by and my plugins are still pending approval. i can’t publish the docs and samples without the plugins in place and i have an impeding long trip. that’s was why i asked for ID approval before the plugins were finished.

is there something i can do to expedite the process?

thank you very much!

thank you very much for acting so quickly!!!

You’re welcome.

Regarding your earlier question, the group ID will be ‘gradle.plugin’ followed by the group value as defined in your build.gradle. Taking the simple example from our documentation , which has group = “com.foo.myplugin" , this would be gradle.plugin.com.foo.myplugin

When deployed, the maven group ID then shows up on the plugin portal for users of Gradle below using the older buildscript syntax, however a maven group ID is not required for Gradle 2.1+ which is why the mavenCoordinates are optional. They appear in the full example tab of the documentation I linked to before.

In addition, an example plugin that doesnt use mavenCoordinates, is here.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kon

1 Like

ok thanks! i was having trouble understanding this because it looks like a simple implementation enable attacks.

so the ‘gradle.plugin’ prefix solution you have here fixes one problem: the ability to create globally unique artifact coordinates. but there seem to be 2 other problems that i would classify as security holes for users of gradle.

first let’s see if i got this right:

if i publish a plugin with:
-group: ‘com.foo’, name: ‘project-gradle’, ver: 1
-plugin id: ‘com.foo.project’
-no mvn coords

then i get:
-an artifact published automatically without human intervention
-with coords: ‘gradle.plugin.com.foo:project-gradle:1’
-and plugin id: ‘com.foo.project’

that i can apply using the new style like this:
plugins {
id “com.foo.project” version “1”
}

if this correct?
if so, here are the 2 security holes:

#1)
i can define a plugin ID (ie: com.foo.project) outside of my real, final group ID (ie: gradle.plugin.com.foo), so i can publish this:
-group: ‘org.android.’, name: ‘i-will-erase-your-drive’, ver: 1
-plugin id: ‘org.android.compress-resources’
-no mvn coords

then people adding this to their build:
plugins {
id “org.android.compress-resources” version “1”
}
will get their home dirs wiped.

this is unacceptable. the mere sight of the prefix ‘org.android’ will immediately inspire the assumption that the imported code is controlled by who controls the ‘org.android’ domain. or if not that, at least the publishing of ‘org.android’ artifacts. note that i didn’t refer to the artifact anywhere with the new syntax so i never know that the pulled-in artifact is actually from ‘gradle.plugin.org.android’.

how to fix:

you need to deny auto-approved publishing to plugins when the real, final group ID isnt a prefix of the plugin ID.

so the plugin id should be declared ‘gradle.plugin.org.android.compress-resources’ for auto-publish to work. this plugin id prefix would still enable phishing attacks, but at least you now have to fall for it instead of being tricked by the gradle toolchain itself.

given this requirement, it seems natural to also require the declared group to be the final real one. ie, declared groups should also start with ‘gradle.plugin’ to be candidates for auto-publishing, and the auto-prefixing you have now should be eliminated.

many people would not do this prefixing correctly the first time they publish. so the next version of the plugin publishing plugin should abort if any of those fields are not correctly prefixed (outputting and explanation of how to fix the situation) instead of submitting the plugins for manual approval. plus, there should be a new DSL property in the plugin to enable the manual approval process when required. this should keep gradleware’s manpower usage at a minimum.

#2)
fix #1 by itself does not provide any kind of trust for auto-approved plugins. it just forces them to have a plugin id starting with ‘gradle.plugin’.

so the message is:
-if you apply a plugin outside of ‘gradle.plugin’, you know that the ID is linked (by human intervention) to the purported origin, so there is some trust there, if you trust gradleware’s due diligence and the origin itself.
-but inside of ‘gradle.plugin’ its a jungle! no way of knowing where the plugin came just from looking at the ID! so either research online or dont apply it!!

the last part is exactly why serious developers wouldn’t want a prefixed ID implemented like this, and would be asking for manual approvals, which costs money to gradleware. so you have an incentive to make the auto-publish trustworthy.

how to fix:

the solution is to be even more restrictive with the prefix for auto-publishing. the required prefix should be something like ‘gradle.user.${username}’, where username is the publisher’s account name at your gradle.org site. (everything outside this prefix should fail to auto-publish, printing out how to fix the issue.)

(that is, unless the developer sets the DSL flag to request manual approval. in that case, there could also be a proofOfOwnershipUrl property through which the developer can point to some proof while submitting the plugin. for example, i can point it to a github gist i create saying i am so-and-so on gradle.org, thus proving that this gradle account also owns FunnyCat in github. once approved, i can publish under com.github.FunnyCat automatically.)

the ‘gradle.user.${username}’ scheme is prone to fishing too, because it implies some curation by gradle. say i register user “google” on you site. then i can publish under ‘gradle.user.google’ which is not nice. so some obvious names should be blacklisted from the site. but you can also do more:

IMHO, it’d be better to use ‘gradle.untrusted.${username}’ which destroys the illusion of curation. (in the same vein, google uses a different domain altogether (googleusercontent.com) for the user-supplied so that it is not even under google.com.) if you dislike the word ‘untrusted’ a less extreme variant you might like is ‘gradle.community.${username}’.

note that this creates the opportunity and temptation to grant ‘gradle.trusted.${username}’ to verified accounts. but it’s better to just approve their own domains and get gradleware off the picture completely. (ie: ‘com.google.’ in favor of 'gradle.trusted.google.’, although the second text really describes what is actually happening better.)

sorry for the long post, i just wanted to propose some improvements!

thanks again!

Hi Lanchon,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

As we are all preparing for Gradle Summit this week, just a quick reply. We’ll take a look at your suggestions in more detail next week.

Thanks for the suggestion. We already do some validation and ownership checks on publish but happy to incorporate this provided existing plugins don’t violate this themselves - we’ll need to check on this and get back to you.

Regarding ‘gradle.plugin’ prefix, it is an implementation detail. We wouldn’t want the prefix to model the type of plugin it is, but if there are other means to identify users as official, we will certainly take a look. We’ll be introducing support for organisations in the future so this will be one way to mark a user as belonging to a plugin and helping users see the validity of a plugin that they are asking for.

Best,
Kon

hi,

thank you Kon.

there’s been a problem: your discuss site here should have quoted the angled brackets i used to mark up text, but instead it swallowed them and the marked up content. so the post you read didnt make any sense because bits here and there were missing.

i edited so now it displays correctly. please re-read the second security hole (text starting at the big ‘2)’ ) to understand what i was talking about.

best of luck with the summit!!! but maybe point someone to this thread so it doesn’t get lost.

best,
L

@Lanchon Not to worry, we’ve made a work item referencing this thread.

1 Like