Plugin and ASM version conflict

I am trying to build local version of Gradle Jetty plugin with Jetty8. The problem is that Jetty8 depends on ASM 3, and Gradle uses ASM 4., which is binary incompatible with ASM 3. Is there any known way how to handle that sort of problems?

Have you verified that this is causing a problem? I’d assume that Gradle’s internal use of ASM is isolated from build scripts and plugins.

Jetty Plugin is Gradle’s internal one :slight_smile: I assume it is not that isolated, when it resides in the same lib folder as the rest of gradle jars :slight_smile:

If this is unheard-of problem, then I will try to create more complete description of the problem.

I assume it is not that isolated, when it resides in the same lib folder as the rest of gradle jars :slight_smile:

I’m not exactly sure how our module system deals with this. However, I don’t see an ASM library in ‘lib/plugins’, and I’m pretty sure that ‘lib/plugins’ is isolated from ‘lib’.

PS: The Jetty plugin has many problems, partly due to running Jetty inside the Gradle process (which it shouldn’t). Our plan is to replace it with an Arquillian-based solution.

Hi Peter. My problem with these plans is that I have no idea when they will come true :slight_smile: In the long-term that may be really good replacement, I don’t know. In the short-term I need my problem solved. I cannot blame you of not solving my problem, you are doing really great job, which I appreciate very much.

I will continue to investigate the possibility to upgrade jetty plugin for Jetty8 at least for our own use.

You can try the third-party Arquillian Gradle plugin today.

Wow. Thanks for that!