Gradle wrapper should have the option to include docs

At the moment for the wrapper task one can’t define if one wants to download the all packaging (mainly required for IDE documentation support) or just the binary, without defining the distributionUrl explicitly.

task wrapper(type: Wrapper) {
     distributionUrl='https://services.gradle.org/distributions-snapshots/gradle-2.4-20150401220029+0000-all.zip'
 }

should be just:

task wrapper(type: Wrapper) {
     version '2.4-20150401220029+0000'
     packaging 'all'
 }

Can I do this? I would be interested in implementation.

@adammurdoch what do you think? Seems a reasonably complement to the new --gradleVersion switch, and reasonable interim solution until getting the docs into the IDE is more frictionless.

1 Like

The most general solution I think would be to allow to build up the distributionUrl, such as:

'${protocol}://${base_url}/gradle-${version}-${packaging}.zip'

at which point one may specify each part individually.

For me personally it’s a little confusing that the snapshot versions have different url, compared to stable, beta and release candidate (as far us URL consists).

Nevertheless, at the moment I would be satisfied with just specifying the packaging type :smile:

Any update on this? Could help with implementation if required :slight_smile:

Is there any official way of doing this? :smile: I mean feature requests. Or should I just fork it on Github, make it and then push a pull request :smile:

Sending a pull request greatly increases the chances of it making it in, but doesn’t guarantee it.

I think there’s a pretty good chance for this change.

Okay, I’ll take a look at this then :slight_smile: