Gentle reminder about some open issues

Just checked Gradle 1.7-rc-1 and everything is fine with it.

It would be great, however, if you could sneak in some more fixes before release…

Those issues are about two problems that have been around for quite some time now.

The first problem (GRADLE-2579 & GRADLE-2440 ) results in “Oh, the build is broken after ‘git pull’? Perform ‘gradle clean’ and check if that fixes it.” which is a suboptimal situation.

The workaround for the second problem (GRADLE-1646 & GRADLE-1276 ) requires adding a ‘compileJava.dependsOn clean’ to modules affected by it, thereby unnecessarily increasing the build time.

Hi,

We only fix regressions after the RC has been cut. It’s a true release candidate.

I can’t given any guarantees about when the issues you linked to will be fixed. We are aware of them. If you’d be interested in helping to fix them, let us know and we can work together to design the fix. That’s going to be the fastest way (besides coordinating 100 people to vote for these issues) to get them fixed.

I’ve taken a look at the code quite some time ago (just before the 1.0 release, to be exact) but didn’t have any luck finding the root of the problem.

Both are essentially problems related to up-to-date checks and I don’t have enough background information to fully understand where to start looking. And even if I would find some way to fix the issues at hand, I’d have doubts about inadvertently introducing some performance regression. Especially since the up-to-date mechanics are so very much the heart of Gradle…

It’s not that I don’t want to help you. It’s just that this might be a little bit too complex.

Anyway, I don’t want to stir up a voting mob.

This was just meant as what the subject says: a gently reminder. Your stance regarding RC is of course correct.

BTW. As a workaround for GRADLE-1646 you can manually add an input property to the copy tasks that make use of expand/filter properties.

cheers, René

How would I do this? Are you sure that GRADLE-1298 doesn’t prevent this from working?

Something like…

task copyStuff(type: Copy) {
  def tokens = [:]
  inputs.property "expand", tokens
  expand tokens
}