Audiveris / Java

I’m trying to install Audiveris which is an OMR (Optical Music Recognition) program on my MacBook 4.1, Intel Core2Duo 2.4 GHz, 4G RAM; running OS UbuntuMate 18.
The installation instructions at https://bacchushlg.gitbooks.io/audiveris-5-1/content/install/sources.html include the line " ./gradlew build " but I keep getting error messages. At first it said the tools.jar was missing, so I deleted jre8u252 and installed jre8u261. No improvement so I deleted jre8u261 and installed jdk14.0.2 and now I get error message

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

• What went wrong: Could not determine java version from ‘14.0.2’.
  • Try: Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.
  • Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

I don’t know how to “Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.” So, here I am at gradle.org hoping to “Get more help”.
This has taken hours and hours and hours and I’ve been through various Ubuntu forums (unfortunately Audiveris doesn’t have a Forum) and I’ve looked through the Gradle forum and I’m not the only one with this sort of problem but I can’t find an explanation that I can understand. Can anyone please help?

The very first thing in the installation instructions explain what you need for that project and why you’re having this issue.

Java Development Kit (JDK): version 7 or 8 (preferred), but not 9 or 10 yet. Audiveris 5.1 can run on both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.

You should be using JDK 8. No version of the JRE will work. The JDK can’t be newer than JDK 8, so JDK 14 is way too new for what they’re providing. All your problems are just from not installing JDK 8 as required. At this point, downloading JDK 8 from Oracle is a pain. It’s far easier to get a non-Oracle OpenJDK 8 distribution like AdoptOpenJDK, Amazon Corretto, or Azul Zulu, to name a few.

It’s exactly what it sounds like for these. If you’re running ./gradlew build, add the --stacktrace option so that you run ./gradlew build --stacktrace instead. However, these items aren’t really going to help you. They’re designed for the developers that are creating the software, not an end user trying to install the software as you won’t be making changes to the build itself.

Hi James,
Thanks for your prompt reply. I had got bamboozled by doing so much terminal gibberish. I’ve now got Audiveris working (which does the music characters) but there’s still trouble with Tesseract OCR (which does the text characters). I installed it with UbuntuMate Software but it wouldn’t open pdf files and I couldn’t find any help on that, also UbuntuMate Software installed Java 11 with Tesseract so Audiveris wouldn’t work either. Only an hour wasted undoing all that. Installing Tesseract with sudo apt-get install will install Tesseract v4 but Audiveris needs Tesseract 3 so I need to install it myself. I’ve downloaded Tesseract 3.0.5.tar.gz and opened it but I’ll need lots more terminal gibberish to get it working. Any chance you could help, please?

Sorry, but this is way off-topic for the Gradle community. The original issue you posted is something that Gradle users could experience on any project even though the resolution might be different if you were the developer of the project (like update your code and tools to support newer Java versions).

I don’t have any knowledge of the Audiveris application or its setup. Beyond the Gradle part, I don’t have any working knowledge of this software, and that’s likely the case for others active in this community.