Adding buildship to a multiproject build

I’m trying out buildship. We’ve got a dozen interconnected Eclipse projects. We started out using only Eclipse build, but I have gradually been making Gradle scripts for them, and treating them as a single multiproject build. This was especially useful for making WAR files, because I was frustrated by not always being able to understand what Eclipse was doing. Originally there was a project “master” that held jars we got from others, two libraries (“lib1” and “lib2”), and a few applications that used only lib1 and a few that used both. Some of the applications were web apps, one was a swing app, and a couple were command-line programs. I treated “master” as the root and the others as subprojects, and have gradle working fairly well. I’ve gotten rid of almost all the jars from “master” except for a few that we customized.

I heard about buildship and it looks cool, but it doesn’t seem to want to support multiproject builds like that. I’ve seen advice to import the root and they will all come in. Projects are managed separately in svn. Is this talking about importing them into the workspace, or something else? How do I convert all these projects to a single multiproject build like I did with Gradle? How do I convert a set of Eclipse projects, already using Gradle, to buildship?

A multi-module build is normally stored in a single svn/git repository. Projects within a multi-module build usually share a common version and are released together. If your projects are in separate repositories I suggest that you use a Composite Build

Typically the root project in a multi-module build does not produce an artifact (jar/war) and does not contain any java sources to compile. Instead, the root project is simply a build script which may contain common build logic logic for the subprojects. So in your case, I would suggest that “master” is just another sibling to the other projects rather than being on a higher level (this is assuming single svn repository for all sources, otherwise use composite build)

See here for a handy trick to work with multiple composite builds