Version.properties file is missing

I’m very new to all of this and I’m trying to set everything up with Eclipse and I enter “./gradlew genEclipseRuns” into the terminal on Mac and it gives me this message
" FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

• Where:

Build file ‘/Users/ericwalter/Coding-1/forge-1/build.gradle’ line: 18

• What went wrong:

A problem occurred evaluating root project ‘forge-1’.

version.properties file is missing - this is created automatically by CMake. If you are building from source, make sure you have built the full source tree, not just the Minecraft folder.

• Try:

Run with –stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with –info or –debug option to get more log output. Run with –scan to get full insights.

BUILD FAILED in 0s"
So I went into build.gradle and it mentions about a MalmoMod thing and that I don’t have the versions.properties file. What should I do? I’ve never heard of this MalmoMod thing.

Unfortunately, Forge questions generally don’t get much of a response here because this community is focused on the Gradle build tool. Forge is using Gradle, but you’re having issues with implementation details of the Forge project, not Gradle itself. The expertise here is more relevant to issues encountered by someone creating the build for Forge, not someone trying to use it.

oh, well thank you for telling me that.