I am observing very slow completion of the build, after the
BUILD SUCCESSFUL and
Total time messages. The process pauses for a long duration while the daemon takes a full core, and then completes. I only noticed this when running a full test and receiving messages regarding the daemon disappearing, which I assume is because it became unresponsive for this reason. When I ran with
kill -3 during this time, the only thing of interest was regarding kryo.
I am not sure when this began happening, as I am observing it on older releases in addition to 3.2-rc-2. I may have increased the test count causing this to be observable. If I recall correctly, previously a test task execution ran ~50k tests and now is running ~100k tests. My guess is that writing the binary test report is the cause of the lag. In total the build runs over 1M tests due to parameterization.
I think others should be able to observe this by checking out my project and running
gradle clean :caffeine:strongKeysAndStrongValuesSyncCaffeineTest.
If I am straining the test reporting, but it worked, then I’d view this as a opportunity to performance tune. But since running the full test suite is now reporting that the daemon disappeared, its a bug. My only workaround would be to try to further break apart the test tasks to run smaller subsets or reduce coverage.