Slow build completion (buildscan plugin)

@Benjamin_Manes I figured out what’s different. Thanks for finding this.

Before Gradle 3.3, we were ignoring the Jacoco output for Test tasks. In your build, all of the tests append to the same file, which causes them to invalidate each other. I think we have a problem with this since a single Test will append to the file by default, so I’m looking into what we’ll do about that.

I think to fix your issue, it would make sense to keep the Jacoco output files separate for each Test task and then have a JacocoMerge task combine them all together (if that’s what you need) or have jacocoRootReport look at all of them separately (which you’re already sort of doing across projects).

And to be clear, I think it’s removing this configuration:

https://github.com/ben-manes/caffeine/blob/master/gradle/code_quality.gradle#L85-L89

You’re right, that could be unnecessary with the jacocoRootReport. I set that up a long time ago when trying to figure out how to make the Coveralls plugin work in multi-project builds. Since it “worked” I probably didn’t realize I had leftover cruft. I’ll try to remove that this evening (PST), see if everything continues to work properly, and if not try tweaking the merge logic.

Thanks for the investigative help. Replacing the append with jacocoMerge worked perfectly.

Hi @Benjamin_Manes

The last remaining item in this thread is

Before sending the activation email, we check if the build scan has been fully processed by the server. If the processing takes very long, as is the case with your Caffeine build, we do not send an activation email. We’ll continue to improve the performance of the processing, and at some point you will also get an activation email for builds of your size.

Regards,

François

Thanks François,

Do you expect that later build scans will support a pipeline view of multiple builds? Caffeine’s build is broken into multiple builds to help clear memory and avoid timeouts. That was an issue originally, but might not be strictly necessary anymore as I resolved some of those problems. It would be nice, though, to compose a view of the entire process. I imagine this would be useful for others who have a build pipeline.

Cheers.

Yes, we have plans for something like that.