Laptop overheating

Have y’all seen reports of laptops overheating when running Gradle? I am currently running 1.1 and am seeing problems with my laptop shutting itself down pretty regularly when Gradle commands are running. This is a Lenovo T510 running Linux Mint 13 Maya w/ Cinnamon

To clarify… I am seeing problems with my laptop shutting itself down due to overheating when Gradle commands are running…

Hey Steve,

Gradle build used to thrash one of my laptops until I configured less parallel forks for test execution. However, in this instance the test execution was meant to thrash all resources to get the build faster. Never heard about laptop shutting itself down, though. I’m not sure what the problem is in your environment.

Hope that helps!

What I mean is this:

steve@T510 ~ $ inxi -sx
Sensors:
 System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: 0.0C
            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2892
 steve@T510 ~ $ inxi -sx
Sensors:
 System Temperatures: cpu: 63.0C mobo: 0.0C
            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3280
 steve@T510 ~ $ inxi -sx
Sensors:
 System Temperatures: cpu: 62.0C mobo: 0.0C
            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3327
 steve@T510 ~ $ inxi -sx
Sensors:
 System Temperatures: cpu: 65.0C mobo: 0.0C
            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3327
 steve@T510 ~ $ inxi -sx
Sensors:
 System Temperatures: cpu: 75.0C mobo: 0.0C
            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3232
 steve@T510 ~ $ inxi -sx
Sensors:
 System Temperatures: cpu: 84.0C mobo: 0.0C
 steve@T510 ~ $ inxi -sx
Sensors:
 System Temperatures: cpu: 88.0C mobo: 0.0C
 steve@T510 ~ $ inxi -sx
Sensors:
 System Temperatures: cpu: 93.0C mobo: 0.0C
            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3647

The above from a run of gradle compileJava just after starting up my laptop (with a steady cpu temp). That causes the CPU to jump 43 degrees C. Running tests is, as you can imagine, worse.

And this is all after I physically opened my laptop up and cleaned it with air just to be sure.

Granted, its not just Grade that causes this. I see the same sometimes from InteliJ. But it is much more concsistent with Gradle. And in fact usually the problems from IntelliJ are when it is (re)loading projects which use Gradle.