How to exclude an artifact from dependencies?

(Gagan B Mishra) #1

I have added this as my dependency :

compile('org.apache.hive:hive-exec:0.12.0'){
  exclude group: 'org.jboss.netty', module: 'netty'
 }

This should exclude the netty package from being used in libs as I believe. However, I still find that jar in my build/libs directory.

I checked in ‘gradle dependencies’ and I am sure no other artifact is getting this netty package.

How do I exclude this from getting into libs ?

(Peter Niederwieser) #2

The syntax is correct. Note that when using per-dependency excludes, ‘netty’ may still be pulled in by another dependency. Also, ‘build/libs’ typically contains the libraries produced by the build, not their dependencies.

(Gagan B Mishra) #3

Ok. There were some other packages pulling this netty. I found that only after doing

gradle dependencyInsight --dependency netty

But it didn’t show me in ‘gradle dependencies’.

(Peter Niederwieser) #4

‘gradle dependencies’ should definitely show it as well (but it will be harder to find). Hard to believe that it doesn’t.

(Gagan B Mishra) #5

Strange indeed. But it really isn’t showing in gradle dependencies. I can give you the outputs of both ‘gradle dependencies’ and ‘gradle dependencyInsight --dependency netty’ if you are interested.

(Peter Niederwieser) #6

You could post them as a Github Gist or similar.

(Gagan B Mishra) #7

Please find them here : https://gist.github.com/gagan-theKratos/4f93d0e56f8652e36eab I have added the output from gradle dependencies, gradle dependencyInsight, and the dependency declared in build file. The one I am having trouble is “netty:3.2.2”. Please note that I have to include other netty versions but not this one.

(Peter Niederwieser) #8

If you search for “3.2.2”, you’ll immediately find it in the ‘gradle dependencies’ output as well.

(Gagan B Mishra) #9

Of course. But it shows under ‘org.apache.hive:hive-exec:0.12.0’, while in dependency insight, it shows that 3.2.2 is coming from other packages as well, e.g, org.apache.kafka:kafka_2.10:0.8.0 … If i rely on gradle dependency output and exclude it just from ‘hive-exec’, the jar is not really getting excluded.

(Gagan B Mishra) #10

My question is, shouldn’t it show under ALL the packages that use this guy ? Like it does in ‘dependency insight’ ? Or my understanding is wrong ?

(Peter Niederwieser) #11

It seems that you are misinterpreting the dependencyInsight output, which says that ‘netty:3.2.2.Final’ is (only) a direct dependency of ‘zookeeper:3.4.5’, which in turn is a direct dependency of ‘kafka_2.10:0.8.0’ and others.

(Gagan B Mishra) #12

Yes, I understood that. And the top level package which drags it is “org.apache.spark:spark-streaming-kafka_2.10:0.9.0-incubating” (As seen in insight). If I exclude netty from this, in my build script, all works fine as expected . But I am still confused on the fact that, shouldn’t ‘gradle dependencies’ also show me that “org.apache.spark:spark-streaming-kafka_2.10:0.9.0-incubating” depends on “netty:3.2.2” .

(Peter Niederwieser) #13

PS: If you want one particular version of Netty, it would be better to force that version than to exclude all other versions.

(Peter Niederwieser) #14

shouldn’t ‘gradle dependencies’ also show me that […]

It does if you expand the ‘(*)’, which means “not repeating this subtree as it was already shown before”. The purpose of ‘dependencyInsight’ is to make it easier to see how a certain dependency gets dragged in.

(Gagan B Mishra) #15

Ok. I see this now. Thanks for the clarification.