Gradle Guides - Creating Multi-project Builds

I hope this is the right place to post this :slight_smile:

I am totally new to gradle and was going through the gradle guide (Creating Multi-project Builds) from @Schalk_Cronje .

I ran into a problem which at first confused the heck out of me as someone who has never used Gradle or Groovy before. So I thought I would mention it here in case Schalk wants to add a hint to his guide :smile:

Following the documentation on my Windows machine I set up the GreetingFormatter/Greeter#main (Java) and the GreeterSpec (Groovy). The specification test kept blowing up on me on the simple string test-comparison:

class GreeterSpec extends Specification {

def 'Calling the entry point'() {

then: 'The correct greeting is output'
        buf.toString() == "Hello, Gradlephant\n"
    }
}

When the test failed and I compared the result with the expected I noticed that a CRLF linefeed was making the difference.

Java was using the System.lineSeparator Property from Windows (CRLF) and Groovy was just using the โ€œ\nโ€ (not โ€œ\r\nโ€) in the test-string literal which lead to the two strings being unequal. I assume if this guide was followed on a Unix-Variant there would be no problem.

To get it to work I had to make one small change and add a โ€œ.denormalize()โ€ to the Groovy String literal.

then: 'The correct greeting is output'
buf.toString() == 'Hello, Gradlephant\n'.denormalize()

Once I did that the specification test ran through.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting. The best place to open these issues is directly in the repository for that guide: https://github.com/gradle-guides/creating-multi-project-builds.

We usually just test the code of a guide on Linux with Travis CI. Thatโ€™s probably why the issue wasnโ€™t caught earlier. The assertion should probably use System.getProperty('line.separator') instead of \n. Alternatively, the assertion could be relaxed by using contains() instead.

1 Like

Thanks Benjamin, I created the issue on the other repository. Cheers, Jeff

Indeed! Unlike the native guides, then JVM ones are only tested on Linux.