Gradle 1.9-rc-1 is now available for testing

The Gradle team is pleased to announce that the release candidate for Gradle 1.9 is now available.

Download links and release notes can be found as always at http://gradle.org/release-candidate.

Please try Gradle 1.9-rc-1 with your projects and let us know your experiences.

Unexpected lock protocol found in lock file. Expected 3, found 2.

Steps to cause this error are simple: gradlew init Uncomment block in build.gradle Create some empty class in src/main/java to force actual compilation and dependency resolution.

07:04:00.921 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.cache.internal.DefaultFileLockManager] Waiting
to acquire exclusive lock on artifact cache (C:\Users\spencer\.gradle\caches\modules-1).
07:04:00.931 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.execution.ExecuteAtMostOnceTaskExecuter
                                                                  ]
                                                                               Finished executing task ':compileJava'
07:04:00.939 [INFO] [org.gradle.execution.taskgraph.AbstractTaskPlanExecutor] :compileJava (Thread[main,5,main]) completed. Took 0.106 secs.
07:04:00.946 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.execution.taskgraph.AbstractTaskPlanExecutor] Task worker [Thread[main,5,main]] finished, busy: 0.106 secs, idle: 0.016 secs
ask worker [Thread[main,5,main]] finished, busy: 0.106 secs, idle: 0.016 secs
07:04:00.958 [ERROR] [org.gradle.BuildExceptionReporter]
07:04:00.966 [ERROR] [org.gradle.BuildExceptionReporter] FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
07:04:00.975 [ERROR] [org.gradle.BuildExceptionReporter]
07:04:00.981 [ERROR] [org.gradle.BuildExceptionReporter] * What went wrong:
07:04:00.987 [ERROR] [org.gradle.BuildExceptionReporter] Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':compile'.
07:04:00.994 [ERROR] [org.gradle.BuildExceptionReporter] > Unexpected lock protocol found in lock file. Expected 3, found 2.

modules-1.lock contains hex-code: 0283 46F9 B3

Moving the cache directory aside allowed it to work, but I’ve saved my old cache if necessary for analysis.

-Spencer

I’ve forked this to its own topic so we can track it. Please reference the new topic here: Error when upgrading to 1.9-r-c1: Unexpected lock protocol found in lock file. Ex…

Building sulky fails with ‘’’ java.lang.IllegalStateException: org.slf4j.LoggerFactory could not be successfully initialized. See also http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#unsuccessfulInit

at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getILoggerFactory(LoggerFactory.java:303)

at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:269)

at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:281)

at de.huxhorn.sulky.buffers.OverwritingCircularBufferTest.(OverwritingCircularBufferTest.java:49) ‘’’

No cause?

Not in the test output. Couldn’t find any reason. Just clone the git repository and build it using the default tasks, i.e. just call ‘gradle’ with 1.9-rc-1 or update the wrapper and use ‘gradlew’. I used ‘gradlew’ but reverted the changes since the build was failing.

The See also link doesn’t have a valid anchor so I don’t know what’s causing this. I add the logback-classic dependency as testRuntime to all my projects - so this shouldn’t happen at all.

Would you mind reposting as another topic? We do have the ability to do this on our side, but that breaks our ability to export to JIRA.

We’re running into issues when including the ch.qos.logback:logback-class:1.0.13 jar into our projects.

It appears that 1.9-rc-1 isn’t resolving POM dependencies correctly. This is what the dependency report from 1.8 indicates: ±-- ch.qos.logback:logback-classic:1.0.13 |

±-- ch.qos.logback:logback-core:1.0.13 |

— org.slf4j:slf4j-api:1.7.5

But 1.9-rc-1 generates this: ±-- ch.qos.logback:logback-classic:1.0.13 ±-- org.slf4j:log4j-over-slf4j:1.7.2 |

— org.slf4j:slf4j-api:1.7.2 — com.h2database:h2:1.3.168

This is the logback-classic POM dependencies:

ch.qos.logback

logback-core

compile

org.slf4j

slf4j-api

compile

org.slf4j

slf4j-ext

${slf4j.version}

test

org.slf4j

slf4j-api

test-jar

${slf4j.version}

test

org.slf4j

log4j-over-slf4j

${slf4j.version}

test

org.slf4j

jul-to-slf4j

${slf4j.version}

test

dom4j

dom4j

test

hsqldb

hsqldb

test

com.h2database

h2

test

postgresql

postgresql

test

mysql

mysql-connector-java

test

javax.mail

mail

compile

true

org.codehaus.janino

janino

compile

true

org.codehaus.groovy

groovy-all

compile

true

ch.qos.logback

logback-core

test-jar

test

org.slf4j

integration

${slf4j.version}

test

org.apache.geronimo.specs

geronimo-jms_1.1_spec

compile

true

javax.servlet

servlet-api

compile

true

com.icegreen

greenmail

test

org.subethamail

subethasmtp

test

org.slf4j

slf4j-api

org.apache.felix

org.apache.felix.main

test

I suspect that the issue is somewhere in the changes to how parent POMs are handled. But I haven’t dug into it.

No problem. I thought putting feedback here would be the proper way.

Forked this to this topic: http://forums.gradle.org/gradle/topics/pom_resolution_issues_in_1_9_rc_1

I created http://forums.gradle.org/gradle/topics/_1_9_rc_1_illegalstateexception_org_slf4j_loggerfactory_could_not_be_successfully_initialized

There will be a second RC due to GRADLE-2931.