Getting "unresolved reference" error when the reference can be resolved

I am developing and Android app using Android Studio. While trying to run some JUnit tests for my database, I am getting multiple “unresolved reference” errors:

e: C:\Users\Rene\AndroidStudioProjects\count13\app\src\test\java\me\renespies\count13\Count13DatabaseUnitTest.kt: (5, 17): Unresolved reference: test
e: C:\Users\Rene\AndroidStudioProjects\count13\app\src\test\java\me\renespies\count13\Count13DatabaseUnitTest.kt: (6, 17): Unresolved reference: test
e: C:\Users\Rene\AndroidStudioProjects\count13\app\src\test\java\me\renespies\count13\Count13DatabaseUnitTest.kt: (25, 10): Unresolved reference: AndroidJUnit4
e: C:\Users\Rene\AndroidStudioProjects\count13\app\src\test\java\me\renespies\count13\Count13DatabaseUnitTest.kt: (25, 10): An annotation argument must be a compile-time constant
e: C:\Users\Rene\AndroidStudioProjects\count13\app\src\test\java\me\renespies\count13\Count13DatabaseUnitTest.kt: (36, 17): Unresolved reference: ApplicationProvider

All dependencies are added and up to date and I can use all references - imports as well as classes - from above errors without any problems.

The first to errors point to two imports

import androidx.test.core.app.ApplicationProvider
import androidx.test.ext.junit.runners.AndroidJUnit4

which produce no error before building.

And the other two unresolved references, AndroidJUnit4 and ApplicationProvider, are classes I use to test my database, which work fine (also auto completion).

The annotation argument error is a byproduct of the “missing” AndroidJUnit4 reference.

How can this be? If the dependencies were missing, I would not be able to use auto completion, as Android Studio would not know about the classes and their functions, would it? How can I resolve this error and make my tests run?

Hi @ReneSpies Did you solve it? i got the same errors! What i did was move my test from the “test” folder to the “AndroidTest” and after that it went just fine. (although in the official google doc it says it should run in “test” too)