Failed to load native library error when using Gradle 3.4

I migrated some of my projects from Gradle 3.3 to Gradle 3.4 and I immediately noticed the following error on my build servers.

23-Feb-2017 03:18:56	FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
23-Feb-2017 03:18:56	
23-Feb-2017 03:18:56	* What went wrong:
23-Feb-2017 03:18:56	Failed to load native library 'libnative-platform.so' for Linux amd64.
23-Feb-2017 03:18:56	
23-Feb-2017 03:18:56	* Try:
23-Feb-2017 03:18:56	Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

I tried cleaning up the files under ~/.gradle, restarting the offending Bamboo build agent but this didn’t fix the issue. This issue is clearly caused by the upgrade to 3.4 because as soon as I revert to 3.3, the build works again.

Googling the error message doesn’t really shed light on what the problem is.

Any idea what could cause this ?

This issue can be reproduced with any build (even one whose Gradle script is empty) as the error occurs prior even starting Gradle.

Note: this error doesn’t occur on my Mac, it only happens when running on our build servers.

I don’t know if this is relevant for my issue but I compared the files created under ~/.gradle/native with Gradle 3.3 and 3.4 and I found this.

Gradle 3.3 creates the following files.

|   |-- linux-amd64
|   |   |-- libnative-platform.so
|   |   `-- libnative-platform.so.lock
|   `-- linux-amd64-ncurses5
|       |-- libnative-platform-curses.so
|       `-- libnative-platform-curses.so.lock

Whereas Gradle 3.4 only creates those:

|   `-- linux-amd64
|       |-- libnative-platform.so
|       `-- libnative-platform.so.lock

Maybe the lack of “curses” directory is expected here but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Any solutions for this so far? We’re seeing the same issue on our build server (but not locally, same as you).

Ah, this is good to know I’m not alone :slight_smile:

I have a feeling that something’s wrong with the packaging.

Same here when we upgraded to 3.4. I just had to rollback to 3.0. When I switch back to 3.0 the problem goes away. I’ve seen this before with previous upgrades. We’d like to see this resolved ASAP. Thanks.

Thanks for reporting. We upgraded the native library version with Gradle 3.4. Could you open an issue on GitHub for this?

Thanks, I have created https://github.com/gradle/gradle/issues/1493.

Guys, feel free to comment in the GitHub issue.

Cool, we’ll take it from here.