Fail to load project, "Could not set property: org.eclipse.buildship.core GRADLE_FILTER. Value is too long"

We are having a problem loading one of our bigger projects in Eclipse. I couldn’t reproduce this originally, but now, for whatever reason, am running into it continuously.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.buildship.core 4 0 2015-09-24 20:50:02.392
!MESSAGE Synchronize Gradle root project at C:\code\common with workspace failed due to an error configuring Eclipse.
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.buildship.core.GradlePluginsRuntimeException: org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException: Could not set property: org.eclipse.buildship.core GRADLE_FILTER. Value is too long.
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.workspace.internal.StringSetPersistentProperty.set(StringSetPersistentProperty.java:85)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.workspace.internal.StringSetPersistentProperty.add(StringSetPersistentProperty.java:51)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.workspace.internal.ResourceFilter.setExclusionFilters(ResourceFilter.java:142)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.workspace.internal.ResourceFilter.attachFilters(ResourceFilter.java:65)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.workspace.internal.DefaultWorkspaceGradleOperations.addNewEclipseProjectToWorkspace(DefaultWorkspaceGradleOperations.java:234)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.workspace.internal.DefaultWorkspaceGradleOperations.synchronizeNonWorkspaceProject(DefaultWorkspaceGradleOperations.java:193)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.workspace.internal.DefaultWorkspaceGradleOperations.synchronizeGradleProjectWithWorkspaceProject(DefaultWorkspaceGradleOperations.java:109)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.workspace.internal.DefaultWorkspaceGradleOperations.synchronizeGradleBuildWithWorkspace(DefaultWorkspaceGradleOperations.java:70)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.workspace.SynchronizeGradleProjectJob.runToolingApiJobInWorkspace(SynchronizeGradleProjectJob.java:71)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.util.progress.ToolingApiWorkspaceJob$1.run(ToolingApiWorkspaceJob.java:74)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.util.progress.ToolingApiInvoker.invoke(ToolingApiInvoker.java:61)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.util.progress.ToolingApiWorkspaceJob.runInWorkspace(ToolingApiWorkspaceJob.java:71)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:39)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException: Could not set property: org.eclipse.buildship.core GRADLE_FILTER. Value is too long.
at org.eclipse.core.internal.properties.PropertyManager2.setProperty(PropertyManager2.java:167)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Resource.setPersistentProperty(Resource.java:1725)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.workspace.internal.StringSetPersistentProperty.set(StringSetPersistentProperty.java:83)
… 13 more

Mark

So far, we can reproduce the issue with BuildShip v 1.0.5, 1.0.3, and 1.02, in combination with Eclipse Mars.

Put the debugger on Eclipse, and it is indeed setting a value over 2kb in length, which is greater than allowed by IResource.setPersistentProperty.

In my particular case, it has 28 values, most of which take this form:
1.0-projectRelativePath-matches-false-false-business/firmwareupdate/firmwareupdatemgr.

When they are joined together, it submits a string value that is over 2k.

Posted a bug to https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=478374.

This is a complete blocker for us in using the plugin.

Thank you for reporting it. I can see the problem, it will be fixed shortly.

Are you aware of any workaround that we can use in the meantime? I haven’t had a chance to analyze it to determine if there is one.

Expect a solution shortly, available at least in a snapshot. @donat will keep you posted.

The issue has been fixed and can be tested by installing it from the following update site:

If it works, I suggest you to use this snapshot until 1.0.6 is released. We expect that happening in the upcoming days.
Thanks again for reporting this issue!

Hi, this is somewhat offtopic, but since my Google searching skills failed me, what is the best way to ‘upgrade’ to this specific version?

We have a few people that have updated to newer snapshots, and have seen some issues, and I would prefer they go back to this known good version. Is the only procedure to uninstall the existing plugin, and reinstall?

In at least one instance, doing such a thing caused the team member to have to recreate his workspace, so not sure if that is necessary.

Thanks!

The list of update sites and the installation instructions can be found in the documentation. If you open any of the update site URLs in the browser you can see that they contain a list of subfolders. Each subfolder corresponds to a specific version. If you use a subfolder’s URL for the installation, then that specific version will be installed.