Exciting new Buildship Features coming up

Hi Manuel,

Yes, it is the expected behaviour: the src/main/resources and the src/test/resources are not added to the new projects automatically. But if you need them, just create these folders and refresh your project (right click on the project in Eclipse > Gradle > Refresh Gradle project): the source folders will be created for you.

Hello Donat

Thanks by the reply. I understand, is what I do, create that folders manually.

Just curious if for the coming release: through the wizard would be possible show some checkboxes to let the user select what directory create or not. It would be nice if applies for WEB-INF too.

Thanks.

There are two things to this.

First of all the project template is not defined inside Buildship: it only reuses the result of the init task with the java-library template. This ensures that the behaviour you see in Eclipse and in the command line is consistent. On the other hand this change would mean that we have to introduce additional options for the init plugin to support your use-cases.

Secondly, the real question, does it really make sense to add such options? The intent of the new project wizard is to give the users a quick start and nothing more.

Hello

Thanks by your explanation, it has more sense. Just curious if you explanation would be added in the project documentation for the community.

Best Regards!

I’ve added the clarification to the user documentation.

Thanks Donat! … valuable your support.

BTW exists a minor typo error in: the the executes Gradle's, twice the term

Can you open an enhancement request for this?

It uses the same order that your Gradle build uses.

I have tried several Eclipse plugin + Gradle version combinations but cannot get it to work (I use the latest Eclipse Neon).

When the projects are updated successfully using “Refresh Gradle Project” then the dependencies between projects do not work (ie. the references are JAR-based instead of project based).

Besides, I cannot get Buildship to work with Gradle 3.1, I get always this error message:
org.gradle.tooling.UnsupportedVersionException: The version of Gradle you are using (3.1) does not support the CompositeModelBuilder API. Support for this is available in Gradle 2.14 and all later versions.

Is there an Eclipse + Buildship + Gradle combo that makes it possible to use the composite build feature (ie. projects in the workspace are referenced as projects instead of libraries)?

Thanks in advance!
Norbi

Hi,

You might have hit this problem: Eclipse import fails (Gradle 3.1, Eclipse 4.6.1, BuildShip 2.0, Java 8)
The composite build support was redesigned under the hood in Gradle core. The consequence was that the exposed incubating ‘ModelBuilder API’ was removed. The new API unfortunately is not in place yet, that’s why there is nothing available in Buildship. We’ll update the Buildship 2.0 snapshots as soon as we can consume composite information from Gradle.

1 Like

I see :frowning:
Thanks for the quick reply!

Hi, we switched from Gradle(STS) to BuildShip 2.0 milestone (20160609) to solve some problems with project updates in eclipse.
That problem is solved, BuildShip is more stable!

A big problem is the missing remap-Jars-to-project support. We cannot switch to BuildShip completely w/o that feature…

A big problem is the missing remap-Jars-to-project support

It’s probably best to explain exactly what this does. Are you aware of right clicking on the project → gradle → refresh gradle project

Hey @HoppeJ,

that is exactly what composite builds is about, stay tuned :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Stefan

Hi Norbert!

I just want to let you know that the Buildship 2.0 snapshot release should not fail with with the CompositeModelBuilder API exception. If you find any other problems in the latest version or you have other suggestions don’t hesitate to contact us, we are happy to get any feedback!

Thanks for the good news, I will try it soon.
(Although temporarily I’ve switched back to the old gradle eclipse-based project file generation.)

1 Like

Another exciting feature of Buildship 2.0 will be a complete design overhaul. The latest snapshot release already contains most of the icons. Please check it out and tell us what do you think.

I am just wondering whether composite builds should work with the latest Buildship 2.0 milestone and Gradle 3.1 local installation? I’ve installed the latest milestone but nothing changed when I refreshed the projects. Should I re-create projects?

The composite build support works only with Gradle 3.3 which is not yet released. So, you have to reimport your projects using the latest 3.3 snapshot.

1 Like

Thank you for the response.
BTW just noticed one strange behavior with the latest Buildship milestone - after refreshing Gradle project project’s output folder reset to /bin value. Is it bug or feature?

We didn’t change anything in Buildship in that regard. If you import your project with Gradle 3.0+ then the output folders should be the same as it is defined in the build script (see the configuration examples in the Buildship 1.0.18 release notes).