Difference between old Gradle and Gradle Groovy/Kotlin?

Hi, I’m new to Java. A couple weeks ago, I installed ‘Buildship Gradle Integration 3.0’ from Eclipse Marketplace. When I created a new Spring Boot project, in the project type there were only two options which were Gradle and Maven. Now when I create a new one, there is no option called ‘Gradle’ but ‘Gradle - Groovy’ and ‘Gradle - Kotlin’. So may I ask what is the difference between ‘Gradle’, ‘Gradle - Groovy’ and ‘Gradle - Kotlin’? What should I use for web app development?

P/s: Both ‘Gradle - Groovy’ and ‘Gradle - Kotlin’ now show problem: “Unresolved dependency: org.thymeleaf.extras:thymeleaf-extras-springsecurity6:3.1.0.RELEASE
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException” when create new project while the old ‘Gradle’ or ‘Maven’ type has no problem? What should I do to fix this?

Gradle build scripts can be written in Groovy DSL or in Kotlin DSL.
I would always recommend Kotlin DSL nowadays.
It has much superior IDE support, is instantly type-safe,
and provides much better error messages if you do something wrongly.

Why the project cannot resolve the dependency is hard to guess without you providing the actual build script.

Hello @leex78

gradle and maven are build tool it help you automate

1. compile
  2. test
  3. create war/jar
  4. deploy
    and others

to use gradle you can use 2 language kotlin or groovy
by the way you can use java but the supported are kotlin and groovy

for the issue could you share your build file ?

and have a nice day :slight_smile:

No, you cannot use Java for the build scripts.
Only Kotlin and Groovy are supported unless Custom Scripting Language support · Issue #22793 · gradle/gradle · GitHub gets implemented.
You can only use Java for custom tasks and plugins and actually then can use any language able to compile to Java bytecode.

@Vampire thanks for correcting me

by the way there project industrialize by spring which help you start new spring project

https://start.spring.io/

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile: