Custom platform name beginning with a lowercase letter "l" appears to be assumed linux

In adding a custom platform named lynxos_x86 along with target(“lynxos_x86”) I have found that gradle is assuming that to be a linux build (gradle version gradle-2.3-20141015220022+0000).

With any platform name beginning with a lowercase letter l I get the following error:

> No tool chain is available to build for platform 'linux_x64':
    - Tool chain 'visualCpp' (Visual Studio): Don't know how to build for platform 'linux_x64'
    - Tool chain 'gcc' (GNU GCC): Don't know how to build for platform 'linux_x64'.

With the name changed to anything that doesn’t start with lowercase l it finds gcc in the path and works as expected. This is running in cygwin on windows 7 machine with a custom gcc compiler provided in path.

A related question, is there anyway to define a custom operating system? I have defined the operatingSytem as linux since it needs to be something (defaults to windows in my case), but it would be very useful to define it as lynxos or vxworks or something besides linux that is meaningful.