Cpp-library with Visual Studio

I’m using Gradle 5.2.1 and trying the cpp-library plugin for the first time. I’m also using the Visual Studio plugin to generate Visual Studio project and solution files.

Following examples from https://github.com/gradle/native-samples/blob/master/cpp/multiple-target-machines/build.gradle I have configured both 32-bit and 64-bit builds for Windows (I think).

This is translated to the Visual Studio project in a strange way. Typically a Visual Studio project has a combination of Configuration and Platform. In a Visual Studio project the differentiation between 32- and 64-bit happens in the Platform setting. Using Win32 for 32-bit and x64 for 64-bit. The Gradle plugin did something different. It uses Win32 Platform for both, but changes the name of the configurations to debugx86 and debugx86-64. Is this intentional?

I see that the Visual Studio build delegates building to gradle. This is unfortunately done with an absolute path to ‘gradle’ so the Visual Studio project can’t be shared. Is that also intentional? I suppose each VS user can generate the project as needed.

1 Like