Could not open settings generic class cache for settings file settings.gradle

Says it can not open it. Picture of a file being there provided.
file called “settings” with a type of .gradle is there. Can not provide a picture since being a new user.

Java version is 8.

The problem is not, that the file is not accessible.
The problem is “Unsupported class file major version 63”.
63 means Java 19.
So you try to use something that was compiled for Java 19+ with something Java -18, and that fails.

Thank you for your reply! java -version in cmd shows 19. Same with properties. Tried with both jdk versions, the problem did not go away. What am I doing wrong, kind sir?

What does ./gradlew --version say?
What is JAVA_HOME envirionment variable set to?

Where should I put the command? My cmd and Visual Studio don’t read this command. Both with and without the slash and dot. JAVA_HOME is set to: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-19. Thank you!

In your root project directory, where you have the gradlew.bat.
If you call from Bash or similar, for example from “Git Bash”, it is ./gradlew.
If you call from PowerShell, it is .\gradlew.
If you call from Cmd, it is just gradlew.

Btw. your screenshot shows you use Gradle 7.5.
This is not supported to run on Java 19: Compatibility Matrix

Hello I have the same problem but with Java 21 and gradle 8.5

Could you please help me resolve this issue ?

No, you are not.
You are using Gradle 7.6 and that does not support running with Java 21:

What gradle -v outputs is totally irrelevant, as that is just some locally installed Gradle distribution that is usually never used, or better said you should never use it and usually not even have it installed.
Each project should have the 4 Gradle wrapper files included that define with which version of Gradle the build is compatible with, tested with, and should be run against, and cares for exactly that version to be used.

For the build you are running that is Gradle 7.6.

Hello, thank you very much for your answer. What I don’t undestand is that I downloaded gradle 8.5 and followed the instructions from the Gradle website. I tried to delete every file concerning gradle 7.x but everytime I run the cordova build command it still uses gradle 7.6. I added the environment variables and path to the gradle8.5\bin file in my system advanced settings so I don’t understand why it doesn’t use this version of gradle. Would you please help me ?

As I already said in my last post.
What Gradle version you have installed or have in any environment variables or paths is absolutely irrelevant.
You do not even need to have any version of Gradle installed.
Every sane Gradle-based project has the 4 wrapper files included and those files control which version of Gradle is used to run the build, as the build is designed for exactly that Gradle version and is known to properly work with exactly that Gradle version.
If you would run a build that is written for 7.6 using 8.5, you could maybe be lucky and it works, or it could fail fatally, or even worse it could silently be successful while not having worked like expected.

Hello, so what can I do to solve this problem? Should I downgrade the java version or upgrade the gradle version?

Yes, exactly, . . . . .

@jadoprog were you able to get this work?

I have similar issue. I’m on java 21, and downloaded gradle 8.7, and that’s the only version I installed.
But when I run build, I got error

* What went wrong:
Could not open cp_settings generic class cache for settings file '/home/ec2-user/sql-parser-service/settings.gradle' (/root/.gradle/caches/8.1.1/scripts/e0nxm4dfbqqivwyg9olb9hxj9).
> BUG! exception in phase 'semantic analysis' in source unit '_BuildScript_' Unsupported class file major version 65

I deleted that .gradle folder, and it created the exact same folder again.

Oh, figured, I have to run gradle wrapper --gradle-version 8.7