Cannot call custom plugin method an external build script

(Ipoo Doh) #1

Hi

i have a custom plugin that exposes certain tasks and methods. I apply the plugin and can call any of its task or method from my main build file but When i try to do the same in an external build script, it cannot load the custom methods but its able to run the tasks fine.

Main Build file

//build.gradle
apply plugin: 'MyCustomPlugin'
import com.MyCompany.gradle.UtilityMethods
  task MainBuildFileTask << {
    UtilityMethods.PrintFileContent(project,"SomeFile.txt")
}

gradle MainBuildFileTask => It works gradle customTask => It works

but if i move this code to an external buil script that i include in the main script it doesnt work

//ExternalScript.gradle
  apply plugin: 'MyCustomPlugin'
import com.MyCompany.gradle.UtilityMethods
  task externalScriptTask << {
    UtilityMethods.PrintFileContent(project,"SomeFile.txt")
}
//build.gradle
apply from: 'ExternalScript.gradle'

gradle externalScriptTask => It doesnt work

calling custom task from the plugin works gradle customTask => It works

It complains, '> Could not find property ‘UtilityMethods’ on task ':externalScriptTask ‘.’

I have tried playing with where i do the ‘apply plugin’ and ‘import’ steps and even using the fully qualified name with no luck. any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers Ipoo Doh

(Peter Niederwieser) #2

You’ll need to move the ‘buildscript’ block that declares the plugin dependency to ‘ExternalScript.gradle’.

(Ipoo Doh) #3

Thanks Peter that did it, I had the buildscript block in the init.gradle script that worked fine as long as i dont load the plugin from the external build script.

Does this mean, i have to re-do all the work that is done by init.gradle script in the external build script as well.

Thanks Ipoo