Buildpath problem after upgrading Gradle wrapper version to 7.0 from 6.8.3

Using Buildship 3.1.5, Eclipse 2020-09 (4.17).

I have a Gradle multiproject. I’m using Spring Boot. One of my projects has the following dependencies:

implementation platform("org.springframework.boot:spring-boot-dependencies:2.4.3")
implementation 'org.springframework.boot:spring-boot-starter-activemq'

Then, one of my class is using Spring JMS features (i.e.: JmsTemplate).
Buildship is configured to use the Gradle wrapper.
If I use wrapper version 6.8.3 all works fine.
If I upgrade the wrapper to version 7.0, then I get the following error on the project that is using JMS:

The project was not built since its build path is incomplete. Cannot find the class file for javax.jms.Message. Fix the build path then try building this project

On the specific class that is using JmsTemplate I get, at the first line:

The type javax.jms.Message cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files

However, javax.jms.Message is actually present in my project build path, because it’s in jakarta.jms-api-2.0.3.jar within the “Project and External Dependencies” classpath container. Indeed, Ctrl+Shift+T brings you to that class successfully. Building the project with Gradle from the command line succeeds (no compilation errors or such). However, Eclipse gives this build path error.
Switching back to wrapper 6.8.3 fixes the problem. Indeed, I need to:

• change wrapper.gradleVersion = '7.0' to wrapper.gradleVersion = '6.8.3' in the master project build file
  • run ./gradlew wrapper
  • perform a “Refresh Gradle Project”

and the error goes away.

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that jakarta.jms-api-2.0.3.jar is indeed replacing the geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.1.1.jar on which org.apache.activemq:activemq-client:5.16.1 (which in turn is transitively brought in by org.springframework.boot:spring-boot-starter-activemq) would actually depend on. I think it’s Spring Boot that is forcefully excluding org.apache.geronimo.specs:geronimo-jms_1.1_spec:1.1.1 from the transitive dependencies of ActiveMQ, replacing it with jakarta.jms:jakarta.jms-api:2.0.3: however this should not harm the buildpath in this way, indeed with Gradle 6.8.3 wrapper all works fine.

This looks like a problem because gradle 7 enabled module support by default.

You could try disabling it like this:

java {
  modularity.inferModulePath = false
}

See

We’ve found a problem in the eclipse Gradle plugin that might have caused the issue: https://github.com/gradle/gradle/pull/16993

Indeed, disabling modularity.inferModulePath seems to fix the problem with Gradle 7.0 for me too.

If I understand it right, the fix is on Gradle side, so it’s expected to be in Gradle 7.1, isn’t it?

Thanks @marco-schmidt and @donat for your prompt response!

If I understand it right, the fix is on Gradle side, so it’s expected to be in Gradle 7.1, isn’t it?

Exactly.