Add a subproject from a multi-module-project to a single-module-project

My problem is:
I can not import classes inside java-files within my-single-module-project, although I have declared the dependecy to some-subproject-B and doing an includeBuild inside settings.gradle. In Gradle terms this “includeBuild” thing is called “Composite Build” as far as I know.

I have done some research on this and found this post, which helped me letting the gradle files compile and its commands execute, but still I can’t access the Java files within the declared dependency.

I have the following folder structure:

some-folder/my-multi-module-project
some-folder/my-multi-module-project/some-subproject-A
some-folder/my-multi-module-project/some-subproject-B
some-folder/my-multi-module-project/some-subproject-C

some-folder/my-single-module-project

From the gradle perspective I have these configurations inside the different build.gradle/settings.gradle files:

//some-folder/my-multi-module-project/settings.gradle:
rootProject.name = 'my-multi-module-project'
include 'some-subproject-A'
include 'some-subproject-B'
include 'some-subproject-C'

//some-folder/my-single-module-project/settings.gradle
rootProject.name = "my-single-module-project"
includeBuild ".."

//some-folder/my-single-module-project/build.gradle
dependencies {
   compile ":my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-B"
   testCompile ":my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-B"
}

I can successfully run this gradle command, which outputs that is has successfully found the wanted subproject:

some-folder/gradlew -b my-single-module/build.gradle build--info
Registering project ':my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-A' in composite build. Will substitute for module 'my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-A'.
Registering project ':my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-B' in composite build. Will substitute for module 'my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-B'.
Registering project ':my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-C' in composite build. Will substitute for module 'my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-C'.
BUILD SUCCESSFUL in 8s
3 actionable tasks: 3 up-to-date

But after adding some java-code to some java file in my-single-module-project, which uses a class from the some-subproject-B, the command above fails to execute, saying that it does not find the class:

some-folder/gradlew -b my-single-module/build.gradle build--info
Registering project ':my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-A' in composite build. Will substitute for module 'my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-A'.
    Registering project ':my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-B' in composite build. Will substitute for module 'my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-B'.
    Registering project ':my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-C' in composite build. Will substitute for module 'my-multi-module-project:some-subproject-C'.
C:\some-folder\my-multi-module-project\my-single-module-project\src\test\java\com\some\package\structure\SomeTest.java:10: error: package some.subproject.B.package does not exist
        System.out.println(new some.subproject.B.package.SomeSubprojectBClass());
BUILD FAILED in 9s
4 actionable tasks: 1 executed, 3 up-to-date

My expectation here was: I can use any Java class from the subproject declared in the dependecy closure, but that is obviously not the case. Why?

Side-Note:
I know that from the folder structure perspective it seems a bit awkward having a single-module folder inside of a multi-module-project without being part of the multi-module-project from the gradle perspective, but this is how this historically grown application currently looks like.

Finally I want to rephrase the initial sentence of this post as a question, which is hopefully clear enough to be anwsered:
Does anyone know how I can declare a dependency from within a gradle-single-module-project to a gradle-subproject nested inside a gradle-multi-module-project AND use classes from that declared dependency?

UPDATE:
I was able to go a different route than “Composite Build” by declaring the dependency to the subproject as follows (of course removing the includedBuild inside the my-single-module-project/settings.gradle):

//some-folder/my-single-module-project/build.gradle
dependencies {
compile files("../some-subproject-B/src/main/java")
testCompile files("../some-subproject-B/src/main/java")
}

Now the Class of the subproject is accessible in the my-single-module-project.

Alas, in my opinion the “Composite Build” approach constitutes a more consise way of declaring the dependency. What is wrong with that and why cant I just access the classes?

I’m surprised it found it because you actually need

includeBuild '../my-multi-module-project'

in my-single-module-project/settings.gradle.

Also if you run with -b the build tends to behave differently as it does not looks for settings.gradle. (At least it uses to do unless it changed with later versions of Gradle). If you want to execute the build from some-folder you should rather use -p my-single-module-project than -b my-single-module-project/build.gradle.

That is because I made a mistake while writing this post.

The actual folder structure reads like this:

some-folder/my-multi-module-project/some-subproject-A
some-folder/my-multi-module-project/some-subproject-B
some-folder/my-multi-module-project/some-subproject-C
some-folder/my-multi-module-project/my-single-module-project

That is why the includeBuild '..' works. Sorry for this cardinal mistake.

Unfortunately I cant edit my post anymore.