What this type using java code in the build script and project settings

Hello

i am using java code instead of groovy so want to confirm that

1. inside the settings.gradle this will be an instance of this interface
    Settings (Gradle API 7.4.2)

am i right ?

1. inside the gradle.build what this type i tried to get the class but it output build_6ineg7nk53oil05rsnh0evd1j but i can not find the build class in the javadoc api
    so which type this represent

2. using the command line gradle it run the task that start with this taskname it does not check if the full name match

so for example

final Project currentProject = getProject()
final TaskContainer taskContainer = currentProject.getTasks()
final TaskProvider<Task> testTask = taskContainer.register("test")
testTask.get().doLast(action -> System.out.println("This is executed during the execution phase."))

running the following command

gradle test
gradle te
gradle tes

all make the test task run the only one that does not work

does that mean gradle run the closest task to the given name and if yes could i get how it pick task

i also notice it do the same for gradle ta and gradle tas both run gradle task

thanks for your time and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1. inside the settings.gradle this will be an instance of this interface
    Settings (Gradle API 7.4.2)

am i right ?

No, the script is compiled to a class that represents the script and that is the type of this.
But most things will be forwarded to an instance of Settings.
Just like with Project for build scripts and Gradle for init scripts.

inside the gradle.build what this type i tried to get the class but it output build_6ineg7nk53oil05rsnh0evd1j but i can not find the build class in the javadoc api
so which type this represent

See above

testTask.get().doLast(action -> System.out.println("This is executed during the execution phase."))

There is not much sense in using the task configuration avoidance api (taskContainer.register) if you right away use get() and thus cause the task to be realized immediately.
Either use configure(...) or give a configuration closuer directly with the register call.

all make the test task run the only one that does not work

Is this sentence incomplete?
Is there for example “is t” missing or so?

does that mean gradle run the closest task to the given name and if yes could i get how it pick task

If what you give is an excat name, it is used, otherwise if the part you give is able to uniquely identify a task, it is run, otherwise it tells you that it is ambiguous and tells you which task names do match. It also understands camelCase like aBC for anotherBetterCodetask.

i also notice it do the same for gradle ta and gradle tas both run gradle task

No, it runs the tasks, not task, unless there is also a task task, then it will complain.

thanks a lot for your time and help

i am still new to gradle

from the api page Script (Gradle API 8.4)
there no getRootProject method

for example Build Lifecycle

to change the groovy code to java here what i did

for the settings.gradle file

this.getRootProject().setName("basic")

System.out.println("This is executed during the initialization phase.")

for build.gradle

System.out.println("This is executed during the configuration phase.")

final Project currentProject = getProject()

final TaskContainer taskContainer = currentProject.getTasks()

final TaskProvider<Task> configuredTask = taskContainer.register("configured", action ->
        System.out.println("This is also executed during the configuration phase, because :configured is used in the build.")
)

final TaskProvider<Task> testBothTask = taskContainer.register("testBoth", action ->
        System.out.println("This is executed during the configuration phase as well, because :testBoth is used in the build."))

testBothTask.get().doFirst(action -> System.out.println("This is executed first during the execution phase."))

testBothTask.get().doLast(action -> System.out.println("This is executed last during the execution phase."))

each time i click on closure the site send me to groovy api page :wink:

sorry my bad meant that all run test task except when call gradle t

but you explain how it work here

thanks a lot

you are correct my bad

some stuff i can not map to java code for example
https://docs.gradle.org/current/userguide/tutorial_using_tasks.html#sec:using_ant_tasks_tutorial

can not figure how to map this statement
ant.loadfile(srcFile: file, property: file.name)
to java

is it cause i lack some knowledge or there some constrain/limitations if used java code

the problem that looks like i am solo on that way as there no help from the search engine also :slight_smile:

thanks for your time and help and sorry for long post and comment :slight_smile:

Correct. So?

As long as you are within build.gradle or settings.gradle, you are not writing Java code, you are writing Groovy code.
Groovy aimes to be the scripting language alongside of Java and thus usually supports most Java language constructs, so you can write Groovy code that majorly looks ike Java code.
But you are still writing Groovy code.
And Groovy is a highly dynamic language with duck-typing and delegating and many magic things.
If you call getRootProject() on this it is not actually served by the script instance itself, but forwareded to the delegate of that script, so a Settings instance for the settings script, a Plugin instance for the build script, a Gradle instance for an init script.

So?
Closure is a Groovy class.
But there are usually also variants that take Action which you can give as Java lambda.

That syntax is Groovy syntactic sugar to supply a Map with two entries.
So if you would use Java syntax, you would build the map and give that to the method.

ok thanks

but what ant from the api (i see getAnt and ant method so which one ) and i can not find loadfile where it come from ?

that my issue not the the file and name parameter

thanks again and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Accessing the ant property from Groovy results in getAnt() being called. This returns an AntBuilder. AntBuilder uses the dynamic features of Groovy to allow Ant tasks to be called as methods. Since these Ant task methods are dynamic they do not appear in any JavaDoc.

The loadfile method calls Ant’s loadfile task.

Some more docs on Gradle and Ant are here.

1 Like

thanks a lot @Chris_Dore that make sense :slight_smile:

While Chris is right and this again is much Groovy black magic that you should not really try to Java-syntaxify, you can do things like project.getAnt().invokeMethod("loadfile", mapWithTheArguments).

2 Likes

thanks a lot @Vampire

sorry i will keep annoy everyone in the forum with tons of questions :smile:

for example 6 in this page Build Script Basics

this one

tasks.register('taskX') {
    dependsOn 'taskY'
    doLast {
        println 'taskX'
    }
}
tasks.register('taskY') {
    doLast {
        println 'taskY'
    }
}

if i used java way

final TaskContainer taskContainer = getProject().getTasks()

final Task taskX = taskContainer.register("taskX").get()

/* if you tried to add the 
  taskX.dependsOn(taskY)
  or
  taskX.dependsOn(taskContainer.getByName("taskY"))
  both will not work 
  not sure if there another way or not
 but the next one is a work around
/

taskContainer.whenTaskAdded(task -> {
    if (((Task) task).getName().equals("taskY")) {
        taskX.dependsOn(task)
    }
})

taskX.doLast(task -> System.out.println("taskX"))

final Task taskY = taskContainer.register("taskY").get()

taskY.doLast(task -> System.out.println("taskY"))

does that mean java code could affect the code capability or i miss something

thanks again for all your time and help and sorry for sending million of question can not promise i will stop posting questions :joy:

and have a nice day :slight_smile:

While again it is ridiculous to use task configuration avoidance API (register) and then immediately querying the provider with get instead of working with the provider, completely destroying task configuration avoidance, why so complicated? If you want example in Java syntax, just do it.
taskX.dependsOn("taskY").
I personally don’t like the depending by String way too much, but it works the same with Java-like syntax.
Actually almost any explicit task dependency is bad except for lifecycle tasks.