Unable to use -Xlint:all in a Gradle project with gradle-errorprone-plugin and JUNG library

Hi all. I am having difficulty getting my Gradle project, which uses a graph library called JUNG and the gradle-errorprone-plugin, to compile Java sources when I pass the ‘-Xlint:all’ and ‘-Werror’ flags to the compiler, and I wonder if someone has come across a problem like this before and can help me find a solution.

I’ve posted this problem already on the GitHub issue trackers for JUNG and error-prone as well as Stack Overflow, but no-one appears to know what’s causing it, which is why I’m posting it here as well.

See below for the original question which I posted on the JUNG issue tracker.

When I try to run gradle run with the following build.gradle

plugins {
  id 'application'
  id 'java'
  id 'net.ltgt.errorprone' version '0.0.8'
}

group 'org.jbduncan'
version '1.0-SNAPSHOT'

sourceCompatibility = 1.8

mainClassName = 'org.jbduncan.helloworld.HelloWorld'

repositories {
  jcenter()
}

dependencies {
  compile 'net.sf.jung:jung-graph-impl:2.1.1'
  errorprone 'com.google.errorprone:error_prone_core:2.0.11'
}

tasks.withType(JavaCompile) {
  options.encoding = 'UTF-8'
  options.compilerArgs = [
    '-Xlint:all',
    '-Werror'
  ]
}

and this class

package org.jbduncan.helloworld;

public final class HelloWorld {
  public static void main(String[] args) {
    System.out.println("Hello, world!");
  }
}

it emits the following message.

:compileJava                                                                     
warning: [path] bad path element "C:\Users\Jonathan\.gradle\caches\modules-2\files-2.1\net.sf.jung\jung-graph-impl\2.1.1\8293acb2ab4c00a3939cb99a8751e5d38a4299dc\jung-api-2.1.1.jar": no such file or directory
warning: [path] bad path element "C:\Users\Jonathan\.gradle\caches\modules-2\files-2.1\net.sf.jung\jung-graph-impl\2.1.1\8293acb2ab4c00a3939cb99a8751e5d38a4299dc\guava-19.0.jar": no such file or directory
warning: [path] bad path element "C:\Users\Jonathan\.gradle\caches\modules-2\files-2.1\net.sf.jung\jung-api\2.1.1\e47ee4efdfacce12f0af620747d9d0e44bf2eaa4\guava-19.0.jar": no such file or directory
error: warnings found and -Werror specified
1 error                     
3 warnings
:compileJava FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':compileJava'.
> Compilation failed with exit code 1; see the compiler error output for details.

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

Total time: 5.488 secs

When I investigate the contents of my Gradle cache, I can see that, indeed, the jar files mentioned above simply don’t exist.

When I look into C:\Users\Jonathan\.gradle\caches\modules-2\files-2.1\net.sf.jung\jung-graph-impl\2.1.1\8293acb2ab4c00a3939cb99a8751e5d38a4299dc\jung-graph-impl-2.1.1.jar, the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF contains this text.

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Archiver-Version: Plexus Archiver
Created-By: Apache Maven 3.0.5
Built-By: jrtom
Build-Jdk: 1.8.0-google-v7
Class-Path: jung-api-2.1.1.jar guava-19.0.jar

I get the same problem with JUNG versions 2.1 and 2.0, and no other library with dependencies I’ve tried seems to have this problem.

However the problem goes away when I exclude from build.gradle the lines id 'net.ltgt.errorprone' version '0.0.8' and errorprone 'com.google.errorprone:error_prone_core:2.0.11', so it’s not clear to me if this is a problem with JUNG or if it’s gradle-errorprone-plugin or Error Prone related.

I think it’s worth noting that, since I posted the question above on the JUNG issue tracker, I upgraded my project’s version of error-prone from 2.0.11 to 2.0.13, but unfortunately that didn’t solve my problem.

Problem resolved as of this bug fix to JUNG.