.Unable to start the daemon process

Hey Everyone, I’m really hoping I can get some help.

I’ve been trying to mod a Minecraft client recently, I’m not sure if that information will help here, but I was told to run a gradlew eclipse genEclipseRuns command in my command prompt on windows 10. But whenever I run it it’s supposed to say something like “build successful”. But Instead, I get this.

C:\Users\balle\Desktop\Basics>gradlew eclipse genEclipseRuns
To honour the JVM settings for this build a new JVM will be forked. Please consider using the daemon: https://docs.gradle.org/4.9/userguide/gradle_daemon.html.

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Unable to start the daemon process.
This problem might be caused by incorrect configuration of the daemon.
For example, an unrecognized jvm option is used.
Please refer to the user guide chapter on the daemon at https://docs.gradle.org/4.9/userguide/gradle_daemon.html
Please read the following process output to find out more:
-----------------------

* What went wrong:
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError (no error message)

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

Can someone please try to help me?

I have the same problem. Have you found a solution?

What does it say when running with --stacktrace?

To honour the JVM settings for this build a new JVM will be forked. Please consider using the daemon: https://docs.gradle.org/4.9/userguide/gradle_daemon.html.

* What went wrong:
Unable to start the daemon process.
Please refer to the user guide chapter on the daemon at https://docs.gradle.org/4.9/userguide/gradle_daemon.html
-----------------------

* What went wrong:

* Try:

* Try:
Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Exception is:
org.gradle.api.GradleException: Unable to start the daemon process.
-----------------------

* What went wrong:

* Try:

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DaemonGreeter.parseDaemonOutput(DaemonGreeter.java:35)
        at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonStarter.startProcess(DefaultDaemonStarter.java:160)
        at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonStarter.startDaemon(DefaultDaemonStarter.java:136)
        at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonConnector.doStartDaemon(DefaultDaemonConnector.java:212)
        at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonConnector.startSingleUseDaemon(DefaultDaemonConnector.java:237)
        at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.SingleUseDaemonClient.execute(SingleUseDaemonClient.java:51)
        at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.SingleUseDaemonClient.execute(SingleUseDaemonClient.java:37)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.RunBuildAction.run(RunBuildAction.java:52)
        at org.gradle.internal.Actions$RunnableActionAdapter.execute(Actions.java:207)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.CommandLineActionFactory$ParseAndBuildAction.execute(CommandLineActionFactory.java:402)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.CommandLineActionFactory$ParseAndBuildAction.execute(CommandLineActionFactory.java:375)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.ExceptionReportingAction.execute(ExceptionReportingAction.java:37)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.ExceptionReportingAction.execute(ExceptionReportingAction.java:23)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.CommandLineActionFactory$WithLogging.execute(CommandLineActionFactory.java:368)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.CommandLineActionFactory$WithLogging.execute(CommandLineActionFactory.java:298)
        at org.gradle.launcher.Main.doAction(Main.java:36)
        at org.gradle.launcher.bootstrap.EntryPoint.run(EntryPoint.java:45)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:568)
        at org.gradle.launcher.bootstrap.ProcessBootstrap.runNoExit(ProcessBootstrap.java:60)
        at org.gradle.launcher.bootstrap.ProcessBootstrap.run(ProcessBootstrap.java:37)
        at org.gradle.launcher.GradleMain.main(GradleMain.java:23)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:568)
        at org.gradle.wrapper.BootstrapMainStarter.start(BootstrapMainStarter.java:31)
        at org.gradle.wrapper.WrapperExecutor.execute(WrapperExecutor.java:108)
        at org.gradle.wrapper.GradleWrapperMain.main(GradleWrapperMain.java:61)

Hm, that’s pretty unenlightening. :frowning:
Can you try with -d?

Please note that I replaced my name with the word Name:
15:59:56.050 [INFO] [org.gradle.internal.nativeintegration.services.NativeServices] Initialized native services in: C:\Users\Name.gradle\native

15:59:56.115 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.internal.nativeintegration.services.NativeServices] Native-platform posix files integration is not available. Continuing with fallback.

15:59:56.213 [LIFECYCLE] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.SingleUseDaemonClient] To honour the JVM settings for this build a new JVM will be forked. Please consider using the daemon: The Gradle Daemon - Gradle User Manual.

15:59:56.286 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonStarter] Using daemon args: [C:\Program Files\Eclipse Adoptium\jdk-17.0.6.10-hotspot\bin\java.exe, -Xmx4G, -Dfile.encoding=windows-1252, -Duser.country=US, -Duser.language=en, -Duser.variant, -cp, C:\Users\Name.gradle\wrapper\dists\gradle-4.9-bin\e9cinqnqvph59rr7g70qubb4t\gradle-4.9\lib\gradle-launcher-4.9.jar]

15:59:56.290 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonStarter] Starting daemon process: workingDir = C:\Users\Name.gradle\daemon\4.9, daemonArgs: [C:\Program Files\Eclipse Adoptium\jdk-17.0.6.10-hotspot\bin\java.exe, -Xmx4G, -Dfile.encoding=windows-1252, -Duser.country=US, -Duser.language=en, -Duser.variant, -cp, C:\Users\Name.gradle\wrapper\dists\gradle-4.9-bin\e9cinqnqvph59rr7g70qubb4t\gradle-4.9\lib\gradle-launcher-4.9.jar, org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.GradleDaemon, 4.9]

15:59:56.300 [INFO] [org.gradle.process.internal.DefaultExecHandle] Starting process ‘Gradle build daemon’. Working directory: C:\Users\Name.gradle\daemon\4.9 Command: C:\Program Files\Eclipse Adoptium\jdk-17.0.6.10-hotspot\bin\java.exe -Xmx4G -Dfile.encoding=windows-1252 -Duser.country=US -Duser.language=en -Duser.variant -cp C:\Users\Name.gradle\wrapper\dists\gradle-4.9-bin\e9cinqnqvph59rr7g70qubb4t\gradle-4.9\lib\gradle-launcher-4.9.jar org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.GradleDaemon 4.9

15:59:56.300 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.process.internal.DefaultExecHandle] Environment for process ‘Gradle build daemon’: {USERDOMAIN_ROAMINGPROFILE=DeviceName, PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6, SESSIONNAME=Console, ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData, PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64, PSModulePath=C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules, SystemDrive=C:, DIRNAME=C:\Users\Name\Desktop\New folder, USERNAME=Name, CMD_LINE_ARGS=eclipse -d, ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86), FPS_BROWSER_USER_PROFILE_STRING=Default, APP_HOME=C:\Users\Name\Desktop\New folder, PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC, DriverData=C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\DriverData, OneDriveConsumer=C:\Users\Name\OneDrive, ProgramData=C:\ProgramData, ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files, HOMEPATH=\Users\Name, PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 13, GenuineIntel, ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files, PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public, windir=C:\WINDOWS, =::=::, _SKIP=2, LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local, USERDOMAIN=DeviceName, FPS_BROWSER_APP_PROFILE_STRING=Internet Explorer, LOGONSERVER=\DeviceName, JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Eclipse Adoptium\jdk-17.0.6.10-hotspot, PROMPT=$P$G, OneDrive=C:\Users\Name\OneDrive, =C:=C:\Users\Name\Desktop\New folder, APPDATA=C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming, JAVA_EXE=C:\Program Files\Eclipse Adoptium\jdk-17.0.6.10-hotspot/bin/java.exe, CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files, Path=C:\Program Files\Eclipse Adoptium\jdk-17.0.6.10-hotspot\bin;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files\WorldPainter;C:\ffmpeg-20200831-4a11a6f-win64-static;;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH;C:\Program Files (x86)\nodejs;C:\Program Files\dotnet;C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet;C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\ffmpeg\bin;C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\npm, OS=Windows_NT, COMPUTERNAME=DeviceName, PROCESSOR_REVISION=9e0d, CLASSPATH=C:\Users\Name\Desktop\New folder\gradle\wrapper\gradle-wrapper.jar, CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files, ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe, APP_BASE_NAME=gradlew, SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS, TEMP=C:\Users\Nane\AppData\Local\Temp, HOMEDRIVE=C:, USERPROFILE=C:\Users\Name, TMP=C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp, CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files, NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=8}

15:59:56.300 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.process.internal.DefaultExecHandle] Changing state to: STARTING

15:59:56.301 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.process.internal.DefaultExecHandle] Waiting until process started: Gradle build daemon.15:59:56.312 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.process.internal.DefaultExecHandle] Changing state to: STARTED

15:59:56.321 [INFO] [org.gradle.process.internal.DefaultExecHandle] Successfully started process ‘Gradle build daemon’

15:59:56.321 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonStarter] Gradle daemon process is starting. Waiting for the daemon to detach…

15:59:56.321 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.process.internal.ExecHandleRunner] waiting until streams are handled…

15:59:56.323 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.DaemonOutputConsumer] Starting consuming the daemon process output.

15:59:56.612 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.DaemonOutputConsumer] daemon out:

15:59:56.612 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.DaemonOutputConsumer] daemon out: FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

15:59:56.612 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.DaemonOutputConsumer] daemon out:

15:59:56.612 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.DaemonOutputConsumer] daemon out: * What went wrong:

15:59:56.612 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.DaemonOutputConsumer] daemon out: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError (no error message)

15:59:56.612 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.DaemonOutputConsumer] daemon out: * Try:

15:59:56.612 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.DaemonOutputConsumer] daemon out: Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

15:59:56.612 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.DaemonOutputConsumer] daemon out: * Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

15:59:56.633 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.process.internal.DefaultExecHandle] Changing state to: DETACHED

15:59:56.633 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.process.internal.DefaultExecHandle] Process ‘Gradle build daemon’ finished with exit value 0 (state: DETACHED)

15:59:56.633 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonStarter] Gradle daemon process is now detached.

15:59:56.636 [INFO] [org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonStarter] An attempt to start the daemon took 0.343 secs.

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter]

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] * What went wrong:

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] Unable to start the daemon process.

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] This problem might be caused by incorrect configuration of the daemon.

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] For example, an unrecognized jvm option is used.

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] Please refer to the user guide chapter on the daemon at The Gradle Daemon - Gradle User Manual

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] Please read the following process output to find out more:

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] -----------------------

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] * What went wrong:

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError (no error message)

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] * Try:

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] * Get more help at https://help.gradle.org15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter]

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] * Try:

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --scan to get full insights.

15:59:56.647 [ERROR] [org.gradle.internal.buildevents.BuildExceptionReporter] * Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

There are two fishy things jumping into my eye immediately.

1. You use an incompatible Java version. As you use an ancient Gradle version (4.9), you also need to use an ancient Java to run it (at most Java 10): Compatibility Matrix

2. C:\Users\Name.gradle\ also looks fishy, should usually be C:\Users\Name\.gradle\

When I type: java -version into cmd I get:
openjdk version “17.0.6” 2023-01-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Temurin-17.0.6+10 (build 17.0.6+10)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Temurin-17.0.6+10 (build 17.0.6+10, mixed mode, sharing)
So I asumed my java was new enough…
Or is this the one that is to new? I dont know what the two types of Java are, that you are talking about.
It should probably say “Gradle”:

So all I have to do is make shure that I grab an older version of the JDK?

Yes, that was a typo, should of course be “Gradle” in the first spot.
Updated.
And yes, that could be enough. Still not sure about the second point, or was that just badly redacted?

Ok I ran the command again and it seemed to have worked.
Now i gett this error but I dont know if this is even a problem…

> Task :downloadAssets FAILED

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':downloadAssets'.
> Failed to get asset: minecraft/icons/minecraft.icns
  Some assets failed to download or validate, try running the task again.

* Try:

Deprecated Gradle features were used in this build, making it incompatible with Gradle 5.0.
Use '--warning-mode all' to show the individual deprecation warnings.
See https://docs.gradle.org/4.9/userguide/command_line_interface.html#sec:command_line_warnings

As the build failed it is probably a problem. But probably something specific to that MC plugin I’d guess. Can you show a build --scan?

It seems to have worked now…
Thabks for your help

1 Like