Unable to create a Checker: configLocation

I have a project with subprojects where some have the Java plugin applied and some have the Android Plugin applied.

My checkstyle configuration looks like this:

subprojects {
    plugins.apply('checkstyle')

checkstyle {
        toolVersion = '6.13'
    }

task checkstyle(type: Checkstyle) {
        configFile rootProject.file('code_quality_tools/checkstyle.xml')

ignoreFailures false
        showViolations true

source 'src'
        include '**/*.java'

classpath = files()
    }
}

When I execute ./gradlew clean checkstyle everything works as planned and I do get the checkstyle reports.

However the moment I execute ./gradlew clean build I get this error:

Caused by: : Unable to create a Checker: configLocation {<project_path>/<java_module>/config/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml}, classpath {<project_path>/<java_module>/build/classes/main:<project_path><java_module>/build/resources/main}.
at com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.ant.CheckstyleAntTask.createChecker(CheckstyleAntTask.java:416)
at com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.ant.CheckstyleAntTask.realExecute(CheckstyleAntTask.java:320)
at com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.ant.CheckstyleAntTask.execute(CheckstyleAntTask.java:303)
at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:292)
at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106)
at org.gradle.api.internal.project.ant.BasicAntBuilder.nodeCompleted(BasicAntBuilder.java:78)
at org.gradle.api.internal.project.antbuilder.AntBuilderDelegate.nodeCompleted(AntBuilderDelegate.groovy:80)
at org.gradle.api.plugins.quality.Checkstyle$_run_closure1.doCall(Checkstyle.groovy:146)
at org.gradle.api.internal.ClosureBackedAction.execute(ClosureBackedAction.java:67)
at org.gradle.util.ConfigureUtil.configure(ConfigureUtil.java:130)
at org.gradle.util.ConfigureUtil.configure(ConfigureUtil.java:91)
at org.gradle.api.internal.project.antbuilder.DefaultIsolatedAntBuilder$3.execute(DefaultIsolatedAntBuilder.java:178)
at org.gradle.api.internal.project.antbuilder.DefaultIsolatedAntBuilder$3.execute(DefaultIsolatedAntBuilder.java:160)
at org.gradle.api.internal.project.antbuilder.ClassPathToClassLoaderCache.withCachedClassLoader(ClassPathToClassLoaderCache.java:139)
at org.gradle.api.internal.project.antbuilder.DefaultIsolatedAntBuilder.execute(DefaultIsolatedAntBuilder.java:154)
at org.gradle.api.internal.project.IsolatedAntBuilder$execute$0.call(Unknown Source)
at org.gradle.api.plugins.quality.Checkstyle.run(Checkstyle.groovy:139)
at org.gradle.internal.reflect.JavaMethod.invoke(JavaMethod.java:75)
at org.gradle.api.internal.project.taskfactory.AnnotationProcessingTaskFactory$StandardTaskAction.doExecute(AnnotationProcessingTaskFactory.java:227)

The Java Module is trying to default back to the default configFile location even though I did specify it.

The moment I add the Checkstyle configuration file to <project_path>/<java_module>/config/checkstyle/checkstyle.xml, ./gradlew clean build does work.

I’ve tested this with Gradle versions: 2.8, 2.9 and 2.10-rc-1 and none of them do work.

The checkstyle plugin automatically adds some checkstyle tasks to Java projects (I imagine the task that fails is checkstyleMain?). You’re only configuring configFile for the Checkstyle task that you created (called checkstyle).

I think if you moved configFile rootProject.file('code_quality_tools/checkstyle.xml') into the checkstyle {} extension block, it would work. This configures the defaults (in the extension) for all Checkstyle tasks.

Yep you’re right checkstyleMain failed and moving the configFile into checkstyle did work. Thanks!