Trying to unpack the jars of two specific dependencies gives me an UP-TO-DATE

(Frigo Coder) #1

Hi

There are two dependencies with 3-3 jar files each, containing native .dll and .so libraries that I would like to extract to $buildDir/natives/. I made a simple Copy task to handle it.

However, for some reason, Gradle thinks the task is up to date, and refuses to do anything, even if I do an upToDateWhen false.

But, if I instead include a dependency that has the other two as transitive dependencies, suddenly it can extract them. It is commented out below:

apply plugin: 'java'
  repositories {
    mavenCentral()
}
  configurations {
    natives
}
  dependencies {
    natives group: 'net.java.jinput', name: 'jinput-platform', version: 'latest.release'
    natives group: 'org.lwjgl.lwjgl', name: 'lwjgl-platform', version: 'latest.release'
//
  natives group: 'org.lwjgl.lwjgl', name: 'lwjgl', version: 'latest.release'
}
  task extractNatives (type: Copy, dependsOn: configurations.natives) {
    from configurations.natives.collect {
        zipTree(it)
    }
    into("$buildDir/natives/")
}

Am I overlooking something obvious or otherwise what is going on?

Thank you for your help!

(Peter Niederwieser) #2

One obvious problem is that you resolve the configuration in the configuration phase. To fix this, enclose the expression following ‘from’ in curly braces.

(Frigo Coder) #3

Have tried that too but found no change in behavior.

(Peter Niederwieser) #4

As can be seen on http://search.maven.org, all artifacts associated with these dependencies have classifiers. Hence you’ll have to use one of ‘classifier: ‘natives-osx’’, ‘classifier: ‘natives-windows’’, or ‘classifier: ‘natives-linux’’. Otherwise you’ll get back an empty set of artifacts.

A good way to find such problems is to print the resolved contents of a configuration:

task debug << {
  configurations.natives.each { println it }
}

(Frigo Coder) #5

Thank you, you just saved me from several days worth of headache!