Transient dependencies with project and custom configurations

I’m trying to get a sub-project’s transient dependencies to resolve when using a non-standard (i.e. not provided by the Java plugin) configuration.

I have put up an an example here. But, for convenience, I will explain it here as well. My rootProject build.gradle looks as follows

allprojects {
  apply plugin: 'java'
  configurations {
    sub0Conf {
    description = 'Configuration used in sub0 sub-project'
    transitive = true
  }
  rootProjectConf {
    description = 'Configuration used in root project'
    transitive = true
  }
 }
}

dependencies {
  rootProjectConf project(':sub0')
}

and the “sub0” subproject has the following build.gradle

dependencies {
   sub0Conf 'org.jmock:jmock-junit4:2.8.1'
}

and “gradle dependencies” shows

rootProjectConf - Configuration used in root project
\--- project :sub0

but not any of the dependencies the sub0 itself depends on. How can I achieve transient dependency resolution for sub-projects using non “java” plugin provided dependencies?

If you want to see the dependencies of your subprojects by running one task at the top level, create a new task in your allprojects by doing:

allprojects {
    task allDeps(type:DependencyReportTask)
}

Then run allDeps.

It’s not as pretty as seeing the entire dependency tree in one place, but it does work.

You can also limit the configuration by doing:

gradle allDeps --configuration runtime

Thanks for the info - this helped me confirm that the dependencies are actually present but just not listed in the standard dependencies task gradle dependencies.

“gradle dependencies --configuration runtime” This is what I searched for. And this thread Show compile dependencies only also would have liked it.

Why is this (crucial) information missing from the DependencyReportTask/configurations documentation?

rootProjectConf project(':sub0')

is equivalent to

rootProjectConf project(path: ':sub0', configuration: 'all')

I think you want

rootProjectConf project(path: ':sub0', configuration: 'sub0conf')

Or perhaps

configurations {
   all.extendsFrom sub0Conf
}