Strip toplevel directory from tarTree

(rainer.frey) #1

Is there a way to strip a toplevel directory when copying from a tarTree (or any other archive)?

I try to copy the full contents of the tomcat .tar.gz download into my project distribution. the Tarball contains a single directory called “apache-tomcat-x.x.x”, but I want to have it in the distribution as “tomcat”.

So I need to be able to either

• rename the directory while copying OR

• strip the directory from the target path entirely (and use into())

I’d like to avoid renaming the target directory after copying, as I’m trying to directly copy into a distribution archive.

Thanks for any hints Rainer

(Luke Daley) #2

Check out the ‘rename()’ method of copy task, or the ‘eachFile {}’ API which gives you powerful file by file renaming/relocating capabilities.

(rainer.frey) #3

‘rename()’ doesn’t work, as it works on the file name only, not the full path.

Thanks for the pointer to ‘eachFile {}’, I overlooked that. I found one problem though: the directories within the tree are still created with their original paths though (this is within a larger Tar task with a lot of child specs):

into("tomcat"){
   def tomcatFile = configurations.tomcat.singleFile
   def archivePath = tomcatFile.name - ".tar.gz"
   includeEmptyDirs = false
   from(tarTree(tomcatFile))
   exclude "**/webapps/**"
   eachFile {details ->
    def targetPath = (details.path - "$archivePath/")
    details.path = targetPath
   }
  }

The Tar file contains (tar -tf | sort):

server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/
// these dirs are unwanted
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/apache-tomcat-7.0.23/
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/apache-tomcat-7.0.23/bin/
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/apache-tomcat-7.0.23/conf/
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/apache-tomcat-7.0.23/lib/
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/apache-tomcat-7.0.23/logs/
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/apache-tomcat-7.0.23/temp/
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/apache-tomcat-7.0.23/work/
// these paths are correct
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/bin/
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/bin/catalina-tasks.xml
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/bin/catalina.bat
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh
// ....
server-4.3.0.999/tomcat/conf/catalina.properties
// ...

(Luke Daley) #4

What happens if you specify ‘includeEmptyDirs = false’ at the top of the copy task? i.e. not in the ‘into’ child.

(rainer.frey) #5

makes no difference. I also tried to do something with ‘FileCopyDetails.isDirectory()’ but the eachFile closure seems not to be called for directory entries.

(Luke Daley) #6

I can’t find a way around this using our API. You’ll have to manually remove the directories in a doLast for the time being.

I found a bunch of open issues about this in the tracker. GRADLE-2255 is an example.

If you don’t mind, I’ll close this topic off as there’s nothing more we can do until this issue is fixed.

(rainer.frey) #7

I see.

Could you give me a hint on how to remove the directories from the target, as this is actually within a Zip or Tar archive task, not within a file copy task. Or do I need to resort to a copy-delete-archive setup? (I might have to do that for other reasons anyway)

(Luke Daley) #8

That’s one option.

Another is to just add another filtering step…

task createZip(type: Zip) {
  appendix = "interim" // need to differentiate the name from the zip below
  // configuration
}
  task correctZip(type: Zip, dependsOn: createZip) {
  from zipTree(createZip.archivePath)
  includeEmptyDirs = false
}

(rainer.frey) #9

Thanks for that suggestion. Do you see an advantage of a temporary archive, compared to a temporary directory?

I face another problem with the same task: I have some kind of overlay directory in the project, that replaces some files from this original archive - copying this directory additionally leads to duplicate archive entries. Of course I could try to define excludes, but “exclude all files that also exist in a different source directory” is not trivially possible, at least with my knowledge.

Both problems seem to be resolved more easily with a temp. directory, thus the question whether that has any practical disadvantage (except being an anti-pattern for the majority of standard use cases).

(Luke Daley) #10

Go with the temp directory. If the original issue was the only problem, backing out my solution when the core issue is fixed would have been less work which is why I suggested it.

(rainer.frey) #11

I’ll do that. Luke, thanks for your help - I appreciate that a lot.

(rainer.frey) #12

Just came across another case of basically the same problem - this time copying a subtree of the archive into the destination. This seems to be quite a common use case - so could gradle provide some way to do the logical equivalent of

from("path/to/archive.zip/path/within/archive") {....}

Even when the original issue here is fixed, having to use an eachFile call and coding the destination path modification seems bloated and not gradle-like.

(Another approach would be a ‘rename’ method in ‘CopySpec’ that operates on the full path instead of the file name only, but I think specifying a source directory within an archive is expressing the intent much more clearly).

Should I make this a Jira issue or a separate suggestion post in the forum?

(Luke Daley) #13

Hi Rainer, please open a separate idea post in the forum. We can discuss it there.

(Ryan Larson) #14

I solved this problem using the gradle filter api.

Lets say you have a tar archive with a directory structure like:

org | gradle |
              | wrapper.properties
             | conf |
                    | gradle.conf

and you want to just copy gradle.conf and wrapper.properties into the rootDir without their parent directories. You can filter on the pathname like so:

copy {
   from tarTree(myArchive).filter{it.path.matches(".*(gradle.conf | wrapper.properties).*"}
   into rootDir
}

And that will copy only the two files, and not their directories.

(rainer.frey) #15

original case was different: Source archive:

org | gradle |
              | wrapper.properties
             | conf |
                    | gradle.conf

Desired output:

gradle |
        | wrapper.properties
       | conf |
              | gradle.conf