Simple build script to just copy dependencies to folder?

(davidmichaelkarr) #1

I have an existing app built with Ant. I had tried integrating Ivy, but I hit roadblocks with downloading timestamped snapshots, so I gave up on that tack.

I’ve built a preliminary Gradle build script that just specifies the dependencies, and I’d like to just have this build script copy all of the specified dependencies into the “lib” directory. I found a SO post that talked about this, and I just copied in the part that supposedly copies the dependencies, but it doesn’t appear to work. I don’t fully understand the syntax of what that task is doing yet.

This is what I have so far:

apply plugin:'java'
  repositories {
    maven {
        url "~/.m2/repository"
    }
    maven {
        url "http://==hostandport==/nexus/content/repositories/cditspoc-snapshots"
    }
    maven {
        url "http://==hostandport==/nexus/content/repositories/cditspoc-3rd-party"
    }
    mavenCentral()
}
  configurations {
    compile {
        transitive
= false
    }
}
  dependencies {
    compile "com.att.ecom.poc:poc-domain-model:0.0.1-SNAPSHOT"
    compile "org.apache.commons:commons-lang3:3.1"
    compile "org.springframework:spring-aop:4.0.0.RELEASE"
    compile "org.springframework:spring-beans:4.0.0.RELEASE"
    compile "org.springframework:spring-context:4.0.0.RELEASE"
    compile "org.springframework:spring-core:4.0.0.RELEASE"
    compile "org.springframework:spring-expression:4.0.0.RELEASE"
    compile "org.springframework:spring-web:4.0.0.RELEASE"
    compile "com.oracle.coherence:coherence:12.1.2-0-0"
}
  task copyToLib(type: Copy) {
    into "$buildDir/lib"
    from configurations.runtime
}
  build.dependsOn(copyToLib)

When I just do “gradle build”, it does this:

% gradle build
:compileJava UP-TO-DATE
:processResources UP-TO-DATE
:classes UP-TO-DATE
:jar UP-TO-DATE
:assemble UP-TO-DATE
:compileTestJava UP-TO-DATE
:processTestResources UP-TO-DATE
:testClasses UP-TO-DATE
:test UP-TO-DATE
:check UP-TO-DATE
:copyToLib UP-TO-DATE
:build UP-TO-DATE
  BUILD SUCCESSFUL
  Total time: 1.603 secs
% ls lib
./
../

As you can see, nothing was copied to the “lib” directory. I know it’s saying “UP-TO-DATE”, which is another problem. When I ran this the first time, it didn’t print that on the “copyToLib” line, but it also didn’t copy any of the dependencies.

I need to understand the right way to do this.

(Chris Marks) #2

For the most part, it looks like you have it. $buildDir/lib will resolve to “build/lib” though, not “lib”. Check whether you have a build directory in your project and a lib directory in build with your dependencies. Most likely you do. You can also run the task straight without running the build task. Just run “gradle copyToLib”.

(Benjamin Muschko) #3

You probably checked the wrong directory. Also, subsequent task executions see that you already copied the files which makes the task UP-TO-DATE.

(davidmichaelkarr) #4

Yeah, well, I TRIED to reply saying that I figured this out, but as I described on the other thread, it never completed the posting. I’m trying again now.