Should project dependencies be showing up in my custom dependency resolutionStrategy handler?

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot something that seems odd to me. I have a mult-module build and each java project has the following:

configurations {
    all {
      resolutionStrategy {
        // add a dependency resolve rule
        eachDependency { DependencyResolveDetails details ->
          if (proj.version.equals(details.requested.version)) {
            println "yo: ${details.requested}"
          }
        }
      }
    }

The version of my project is 8.11.0-SNAPSHOT and my group is “mygroup”. The above just output’s a line indicating what dependencies hit my custom resolutionHandler.

One of my projects in my multi-module builds depends on two other libraries from the build, and the dependencies look like this:

dependencies {
  compile project(':gp-jaxb-types')
  compile project(":admin-client")
  }

When I run my build, I see the following output:

:admin-client:build
:gp-jaxb-types:build
:services-lib:compileJava
yo: mygroup:gp-jaxb-types:8.11.0-SNAPSHOT
yo: mygroup:admin-client:8.11.0-SNAPSHOT

I’m surprised to see that my internal project dependencies are being passed to my registered resolutionStrategy handler. I thought that was intended for external dependencies only.

As my build/project is rather later and involved, I made a quick attempt to put together a sample project to reproduce this, but I couldn’t reproduce the behavior which is curious.

Should project dependencies be passed to my handler? It doesn’t seem to make sense to me. If so, is there a good recommended way to ignore them?

Thanks.

Doug

Hey,

The project dependencies are included intentionally. We don’t want to change that.

However, we do want to make the resolution rules api richer. For example, DependencyResolveDetails could have a method like isProjectDependency().

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the response. Yes, isProjectDependency() sounds helpful as this would easily allow me to target my custom override rule only to external dependencies.

Should I file a JIRA ticket for this enhancement request or does that happen automagically somehow through this forum?

In the meantime, it sounds like I need to build up some intelligence into my handler to somehow compare this dependencies with the archives associated with my all my subprojects as a means to ignore them.

Cheers.