Settings.gradle(.kts) is missing

Hello,

I use Gradle for flutter, just updated it to 7.2. and I am in windows.

Running the Gradle command on the Command prompt returns me an error that I don’t have the ‘settings.gradle(.kts)’ file.
Before upgrading everything was smooth except the depreciated API warning. I have deleted the old gradle build so I cant get a reference.

I have searched the web but no one is able to answer.

Here is my complete error prompt-

C:\Users\bspma>gradle

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Executing Gradle tasks as part of a build without a settings file is not supported. Make sure that you are executing Gradle from a directory within your Gradle project. Your project should have a 'settings.gradle(.kts)' file in the root directory.

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

BUILD FAILED in 1s

Will the issue be solved by downloading the Settings file from the git repo? Then where to place it?

I am sorry if I am posting the wrong things to the wrong location then please show me the right one.

Thanks for your time.

What git repo are you referring to? If there’s one in the project’s repo then yes, you should have it.

It should be in the root project directory.
https://docs.gradle.org/current/userguide/upgrading_version_6.html#executing_a_gradle_build_without_a_settings_file_is_now_an_error

Hello Chris, thank you for responding.
Pardon my naivety, I was referring to the Git repo of Gradle itself.
The file is the second from last on the list.

Creating a gradle.settings file in the root directory ( gradle7.2>settings.gradle ) didn’t solve the issue for me. Even adding a .kts didn’t.

I have referred to this adress but failed to understand how to create the file and what to put inside that. I also missed what is the proper procedure for creating the file from scratch. Should I create a text file and the convert it to .gradle ?

I have also tried putting these lines inside below inside that self-made settings.gradle file but no progress.
rootProject.name = 'basic' println 'This is executed during the initialization phase.'

Yes, settings.gradle is just a text file like build.gradle.

Your project’s settings.gradle should live in the same directory as the project’s build.gradle. If you have a multi-project build with projects in subdirectories then there should only be one settings.gradle file in the top-most directory of the project (the root directory of the project).

I don’t find the build.gradle file inside my installation directory but it is inside my app directory for flutter.

Yes, your flutter application is the project and that is what I have been talking about. You do not need to modify anything in your gradle installation directory. Every project has its own settings file.