Reusing resolution strategy between Gradle projects

Hi,

Given multiple Gradle projects which use a similar set of dependencies, I often see errors like this (which are usually transitive dependencies that I haven’t specifically defined).

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':compileClasspath'.
> A conflict was found between the following modules:
   - com.something:example:1.2.3
   - com.something:example:1.2.2
   - com.something:example:1.2.1

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

The typical way to resolve this error would be to add force com.something:example:1.2.3 (latest) to the resolution strategy in build.gradle and then try running the compileJava task again until all conflicts are resolved.
I’m wondering if it would be a good practice to define a general resolution strategy which could be somehow applied by all the projects and then if there are additional conflicts, those would be resolved in build.gradle as usual. If this is a fair approach, would a good place to apply the general resolution strategy be in a Gradle plugin or is there a better choice?

Another question would be, since I have a consistent way I want to resolve these conflicts each time, can Gradle determine what the conflicts are and then I could generate the list of versions to force rather than discovering the conflicts by trial and error?

Thanks

Just stick it in allprojects block in your root gradle.build and it should work. It is a fairly normal thing to do.