Referencing Plugin same with Maven

Is gradle support referencing a plugin as a task directly e.g gradle java:compile? or similar in maven?

Like:

mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-clean-plugin:2.0:clean
  mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-clean-plugin:clean
  mvn clean:clean

this is based on: http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-plugin-resolution.html

I’m not sure I understand the question. You mean without having a ‘buildscript {}’ block?

I believe the user asked if a task provided from a plugin can be referenced and executed from the command line similar to the way Maven does it (for example ‘gradle <pluginname>:<taskname>’). The short answer is no.

Not yet, but it’s coming.

Hi guys, thank you so much for your responses. Is there a JIRA ticket for this so we can follow the progress for this feature?

I believe that this feature can help also in IDE plugin for giving a default IDE configuration for Gradle project type and bind it in IDE’s Action Map e.g. Run, Profile, etc. even the user did not have a configuration in their buildscript.

As far as I know this will be implemented as part of the build-initialisation story. I don’t think there is a JIRA ticket to follow at the moment.