Plugin detection and configuration

(Jason Hatton) #1

I want to be able to add or update Eclipse and/or Idea plugin configuration when my plugin is being applied. What is the best way to approach this.

I have tried this:

PluginCollection<EclipseWtpPlugin> eclipsePlugins = plugins.withType(EclipseWtpPlugin.class);
          if(!eclipsePlugins.isEmpty()) {
            System.out.println("eclipse plugin added.");
        }

this (works to find Eclipse plugin):

PluginCollection<IdeaPlugin> ideaPlugins = plugins.withType(IdeaPlugin.class);
          ideaPlugins.whenPluginAdded(new Action<IdeaPlugin>() {
            @Override
            public void execute(IdeaPlugin ideaPlugin) {
                System.out.println("has idea");
                //To change body of implemented methods use File | Settings | File Templates.
            }
        });

and this (works to find Idea plugin):

private void configureIdeaIfPresent(PluginContainer plugins) {
                  if(plugins.hasPlugin("idea")) {
            System.out.println("has idea");
        }
    }

With differing results between Eclipse and IntelliJ as far as detecting the existence of the plugins. Any direction on a best practice or insight from experience is welcome.

Followup:

After testing different options the project.getPlugins().getPlugin([plugintype]) appears to do what I want if my plugin is applied to the project after the other plugins. This is fine for what I am trying to achieve but if there is a way to do this without having to depend on when they are applied that would be preferred. Is this possible? I like the whenPluginApplied method, is this suppose to be tied into the entire configuration lifecycle?

(René Groeschke) #2

Hello Jason,

to react on applied IDE plugins from your plugin code, you can simply use

apply(Project project){
    project.plugins.withType(IdeaPlugin) {
    }
}

The withType method is lazy evaluated. this means it doesn’t matter if the idea plugin is applied after or before your plugin is applied.

hope that helps!

René

(Jason Hatton) #3

This does work. The one difference I am seeing is the withType method returns a collection and the getPlugin(SomePlugin.class) returns a single instance. I am thinking I would prefer the getPlugin method. Any disadvantages or advantages with either way of doing it?