OnlyIf affect only task but not tasks that depends on

(Alex Soto) #1

I have next custom task in Gradle 2.10:

task startDockerCompose(type: ExecWait, dependsOn: ':buildImage') {
}

startDockerCompose.onlyIf {project.hasProperty('env') && project.getProperty('env') == 'local'}

If I run

/gradlew :acceptance-test:startDockerCompose then the output is:

:processResources UP-TO-DATE
:classes UP-TO-DATE
:createBuildInfoFile
:war
:assemble
:buildImage
:acceptance-test:startDockerCompose SKIPPED

But this is not correct because startDockerCompose is skipped and its dependencies should be as well.

(Stefan Oehme) #2

This is the expected behavior.

If running the other tasks doesn’t make sense in your case, then all of them should have the onlyIf condition attached to them.

(Alex Soto) #3

Well it is a bit strange see this, if I do:

startDockerCompose.onlyIf {project.hasProperty('env') && project.getProperty('env') == 'dev'}
rootProject.buildImage.onlyIf {project.hasProperty('env') && project.getProperty('env') == 'dev'}

startDockerCompose.dependsOn rootProject.buildImage
test.dependsOn startDockerCompose

Then it is true the buildImage task is not executed, but yes all the tasks that depends on buildImage:

:processResources UP-TO-DATE
:classes UP-TO-DATE
:createBuildInfoFile
:war
:assemble
:buildImage SKIPPED
:acceptance-test:startDockerCompose SKIPPED

You will agree with me that it is not practical at all having to know the whole hierarchy.

(Stefan Oehme) #4

The onlyIf expression can read things that change as the build executes,
for instance

´´´onlyIf { otherTask.didWork}´´´

So we cannot do any up-front analysis who really needs to run.

What problem is this causing for you?

(Alex Soto) #5

What I want to do is that in case that the user add the project property dev (which means the build is being executed in dev machine), I want to create the war (assemble) build the docker image (buildImage) and then call the docker-compose file passing the docker image that has been created and finally execute the tests. So doing ./gradlew -Penv=dev :acceptance-test:test makes all these steps automatically.

But if I am not in dev (means in Jenkins), when I run :acceptance-test:test I don’t want to start docker-compose and so on since the application is already deployed in PRE. But then when I execute the :acceptance-test:test task it is true that does not start the docker-compose, but it creates the war again, which is totally useless since this stage has been already executed in the past and now I don’t want to do the war again.

(Stefan Oehme) #6

In that case the question becomes: Why does the test task depend on dockerCompose if you don’t want it? You could set up the dependency conditionally:

if (project.env == 'local') {
 test.dependsOn(startDockerCompose)
}

(Alex Soto) #7

So true :S The forrest didn’t let me see the tree :slight_smile: Thank you so much