NoClassDefFoundError with Gradle

When I run gradle tests in Intellij (or using ./gradlew test, I get NoClassDefFoundError.

When I run gradle dependencies, I see:

testRuntimeOnly - Runtime only dependencies for source set 'test'. (n)
No dependencies

even though I have some test-only dependencies in my build file. I’m also not able to import a class from the onebiz:datastore_testing project.

I’m running JDK 11. “onebiz:datastore_testing” project is part of the same Gradle multi-module build/project. That dependency does work with other sub-modules. I tried commenting it out and replacing the code that was calling it and the error still exists.

build.gradle:

apply plugin: 'jacoco'

apply from: "$rootDir/standard-java.gradle"
apply from: "$rootDir/standard-java-publishing.gradle"

ext.googleCloudClientSpannerVersion='6.28.0'

dependencies {
    compile "com.google.cloud:google-cloud-spanner:$googleCloudClientSpannerVersion"
    compile (project(":onebiz:onebiz"))

testCompile "org.mockito:mockito-core:$onebiz_MOCKITO"
    testCompile "junit:junit:$onebiz_JUNIT"
    testCompile project(":onebiz:datastore_testing")
}

test {
    finalizedBy jacocoTestReport
}

jacocoTestReport {
    dependsOn test
}

jacocoTestCoverageVerification {
    violationRules {
        rule {
            limit {
                minimum = 0.8
            }
        }
    }
}

Error message:

Could not initialize class com.s.onebiz.util.TestUtils
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.s.onebiz.util.TestUtils
	at com.s.onebiz.util.TestClientManager.<init>(TestClientManager.java:39)
	at com.s.onebiz.core.cloud.spanner.CloudSpannerOneDataImplTest.<clinit>(CloudSpannerOneDataImplTest.java:38)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
	at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:59)
	at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:12)
	at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExplosively(FrameworkMethod.java:56)
	at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunBefores.invokeMethod(RunBefores.java:33)
	at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunBefores.evaluate(RunBefores.java:24)
	at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunAfters.evaluate(RunAfters.java:27)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:306)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:413)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.JUnitTestClassExecutor.runTestClass(JUnitTestClassExecutor.java:110)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.JUnitTestClassExecutor.execute(JUnitTestClassExecutor.java:58)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.JUnitTestClassExecutor.execute(JUnitTestClassExecutor.java:38)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.AbstractJUnitTestClassProcessor.processTestClass(AbstractJUnitTestClassProcessor.java:62)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.SuiteTestClassProcessor.processTestClass(SuiteTestClassProcessor.java:51)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ReflectionDispatch.dispatch(ReflectionDispatch.java:36)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ReflectionDispatch.dispatch(ReflectionDispatch.java:24)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ContextClassLoaderDispatch.dispatch(ContextClassLoaderDispatch.java:33)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ProxyDispatchAdapter$DispatchingInvocationHandler.invoke(ProxyDispatchAdapter.java:94)
	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy5.processTestClass(Unknown Source)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.worker.TestWorker.processTestClass(TestWorker.java:119)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ReflectionDispatch.dispatch(ReflectionDispatch.java:36)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ReflectionDispatch.dispatch(ReflectionDispatch.java:24)
	at org.gradle.internal.remote.internal.hub.MessageHubBackedObjectConnection$DispatchWrapper.dispatch(MessageHubBackedObjectConnection.java:182)
	at org.gradle.internal.remote.internal.hub.MessageHubBackedObjectConnection$DispatchWrapper.dispatch(MessageHubBackedObjectConnection.java:164)
	at org.gradle.internal.remote.internal.hub.MessageHub$Handler.run(MessageHub.java:414)
	at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ExecutorPolicy$CatchAndRecordFailures.onExecute(ExecutorPolicy.java:64)
	at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ManagedExecutorImpl$1.run(ManagedExecutorImpl.java:48)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
	at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ThreadFactoryImpl$ManagedThreadRunnable.run(ThreadFactoryImpl.java:56)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829)

You should not use compile and testCompile, those are deprecated since years and in 7.0 finally removed.
That testRuntimeOnly is empty is expected, you do not declare any testRuntimeOnly dependencies, look at testRuntimeClasspath instead.
The error does not tell you the class is missing, it tells you it couldn’t initialize the class, this usually happens if you have some exception during static initialization of the class, scroll up a bit and you probably find the actual error.