Need help with inputs/outputs for doing incremental build with xjc

In my gradle build, I need to use XJC to create stub classes from an xsd file.

I have created the following tasks:

task antdef(dependsOn: JavaPlugin.PROCESS_RESOURCES_TASK_NAME) {
 project.ext.rootDir = file('/src/main/java')
    doLast {
  ant.taskdef(name: 'xjc', classname: 'com.sun.tools.xjc.XJCTask', classpath: configurations.xjcbeans.asPath) {
  }
 }
}
  task xjcItemThing(dependsOn: antdef) {
 ext.itemThingDir = new File(project.ext.rootDir, '/com/foo/product/beans/itemThing')
 ext.itemThingXsd = new File(itemThingDir, 'itemThingFile.xsd')
 ext.itemThingXjb = new File(itemThingDir, 'itemThingFile.xjb')
    // incremental inputs/outputs
 inputs.files(itemThingXsd, itemThingXjb)
 outputs.dir itemThingDir
    doLast {
  ant.xjc(destdir: project.ext.rootDir, extension: 'true', header: 'false', removeOldOutput: 'yes',
    schema: itemThingXsd,
    binding: itemThingXjb) {
   produces(dir: itemThingDir, includes: '*.java')
  }
 }
}

Following an example I found on a blog or website somewhere about making gradle build incrementally, I added the inputs/outputs to the xjc task above.

When the xsd is changed, this works like a charm.

However, when we first checkout our workspace, the xjc task evaluates this as a “no change to compile” situation and the stubs do not get built (possibly b/c the output directory timestamp matches the input file timestamps?)

Can anyone give me some hints on how to resolve this issue? I have done my best to research this in documentation, google, etc., but I haven’t found a lot of good info.

I’m not exactly sure what you are saying, but one thing that’s suspicious is that the input files reside in the output directory. Instead I’d use different base directories.