Mysterious error gives no crash log

Just did a fresh install of Gradle (did a clean reinstall after I started encountering this problem). When running “gradle” it ignores any command line errors, simply throwing out “Error: Could not find or load main class export”. It does this regardless of project I’m in (even if I’m not in a project at all). I tried this first using the version of gradle that ships with my operating system and later using the binary release from gradle.org, with no difference. I can provide any other information needed.

EDIT: Thought I should note, my operating system is Ubuntu 15.10, and I’m using OpenJDK 1.8 (and Java is working fine)

EDIT: It should be noted that this error persists with the gradle build from Ubuntu, the build from gradle-ppa, the build from gradle.org, and the wrapper shipped with other applications

Thanks for the problem report.

Does executing this command fix the problem: rm ~/.gradle/caches/*/workerMain/gradle-worker.jar ?

If not, please try rename/moving ~/.gradle (for example mv ~/.gradle{,.old}) to see if some corrupted state in ~/.gradle is causing the problem.

If that doesn’t help, please also try removing the .gradle directory in the build directory.