maven2gradle generates deprecated property assignment

(tedyoung) #1

I am using gradle 1.4’s maven2gradle. The build file it generated had a dependency section like this (I removed unimportant dependencies from the list here):

dependencies {
    testCompile group: 'org.easytesting', name: 'fest-assert', version:'1.4'
    compile(group: 'junit', name: 'junit', version:'4.8.2') {
        provided : true
    }
}

When I did a build, grade complained:

Usage of statement labels in build scripts has been deprecated and is scheduled to be removed in Gradle 2.0. In case you tried to configure a property named ‘provided’, replace ‘:’ with ‘=’ or ’ '. Otherwise it will not have the desired effect.

provided : true

^.

I’m not sure what should be here, because “provided” doesn’t appear to be a valid property.

(Peter Niederwieser) #2

Thanks for reporting this problem. I’ve exported it to JIRA. There are actually two problems here:

• As correctly pointed out by Gradle, the generated syntax is incorrect. * There is no ‘provided’ property.

For projects that have the ‘war’ plugin applied, you can use the ‘providedCompile’ configuration. For other projects, I recommend to search the Gradle Forums/Stack Overflow/Google for how to achieve something similar to Maven’s ‘provided’ in Gradle.

Please bear with us, and keep in mind that it’s early times for ‘maven2gradle’.

(tedyoung) #3

Thanks for the confirmation.

I’m frustrated that migrating from Maven is not documented (or certainly not very well) given that it would seem to be a common situation. I know that the Gradle developers want to do things differently than Maven, but pointing to “Gradle Forums/SO/Google” for how to solve a very common situation isn’t helping.

(Peter Niederwieser) #4

Why isn’t it helping? The question has been asked and answered numerous times before, and you should be able to find a decent answer in a couple of minutes. Alternatively, you could also check how prominent Gradle users like Spring have solved this problem.

PS: I’m actually in favor of having a “provided” scope in Gradle, but it’s not my call.

(Peter Walker) #5

Ted, Would it be possible to send me the pom, or the dependency section of the POM that I can test with?

Please mail it directly to me. Regards, Peter Walker COO Gradleware Inc. peter.walker@gradleware.com http://www.gradleware.com/team#peter-walker http://www.linkedin.com/in/peterbwalker Phone: 914 418 4010

(Peter Walker) #6

Ted,

This has been fixed in our nightly distribution and will be shipped in 1.6. Would you be able to try this out and report feedback here?