Java 9 (build 9-ea+170) issues

(sergey.morenets) #1

Hi

I tried to start Gradle 3.5 on the latest JDK 9 build (170) using advises from similar topics here:

export GRADLE_OPTS=–add-opens java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED

However when I start my build I get the following exception. Can you please help?

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.DaemonGreeter.parseDaemonOutput(DaemonGreeter.java:34)
    at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonStarter.startProcess(DefaultDaemonStarter.java:152)
    at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonStarter.startDaemon(DefaultDaemonStarter.java:135)
    at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonConnector.startDaemon(DefaultDaemonConnector.java:208)
    at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DefaultDaemonConnector.connect(DefaultDaemonConnector.java:130)
    at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DaemonClient.execute(DaemonClient.java:127)
    at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.client.DaemonClient.execute(DaemonClient.java:81)
    at org.gradle.launcher.cli.RunBuildAction.run(RunBuildAction.java:51)
    at org.gradle.internal.Actions$RunnableActionAdapter.execute(Actions.java:173)
    at org.gradle.launcher.cli.CommandLineActionFactory$ParseAndBuildAction.execute(CommandLineActionFactory.java:281)
    at org.gradle.launcher.cli.CommandLineActionFactory$ParseAndBuildAction.execute(CommandLineActionFactory.java:254)
    at org.gradle.launcher.cli.JavaRuntimeValidationAction.execute(JavaRuntimeValidationAction.java:33)
    at org.gradle.launcher.cli.JavaRuntimeValidationAction.execute(JavaRuntimeValidationAction.java:24)
    at org.gradle.launcher.cli.ExceptionReportingAction.execute(ExceptionReportingAction.java:33)
    at org.gradle.launcher.cli.ExceptionReportingAction.execute(ExceptionReportingAction.java:22)
    at org.gradle.launcher.cli.CommandLineActionFactory$WithLogging.execute(CommandLineActionFactory.java:247)
    at org.gradle.launcher.cli.CommandLineActionFactory$WithLogging.execute(CommandLineActionFactory.java:182)
    at org.gradle.launcher.Main.doAction(Main.java:33)
    at org.gradle.launcher.bootstrap.EntryPoint.run(EntryPoint.java:45)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:563)
    at org.gradle.launcher.bootstrap.ProcessBootstrap.runNoExit(ProcessBootstrap.java:60)
    at org.gradle.launcher.bootstrap.ProcessBootstrap.run(ProcessBootstrap.java:37)
    at org.gradle.launcher.GradleMain.main(GradleMain.java:23)

Thanks

(Pepper Lebeck-Jobe) #2

@Strannik, are you sure that’s the whole stack trace?

I don’t expect Gradle 3.8 to run on the latest JDK 9 (build 170.) But, I do expect a different stack trace.

For more information on the work we are doing to get Gradle running correctly with the latest early-availability releases of the JDK, please follow along on:

(sergey.morenets) #3

Hi @eljobe

Yes, that’s the full stack trace. I tested it today.

(Pepper Lebeck-Jobe) #4

Thanks for the update. I can confirm that with Gradle 3.5, the exception is different than the one produced by one of the nightly builds from our 4.0 snapshot. Thanks for the report.

(Steve Felts) #5

Instead of setting GRADLE_OPTS, try setting JDK_JAVA_OPTIONS.
You will need different opens depending on what you gradle files use.
If you want to open everything up just to see if it works, export JDK_JAVA_OPTIONS=
"–permit-illegal-access -Djdk.attach.allowAttachSelf=true"

(sergey.morenets) #6

Hi @eljobe @sdfelts

Thank you for the suggestions. I could resolve all the issues with starting Gradle using JDK_JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable(using --permit-illegagl-access or --add-opens flags).

However I have another issue with compiling my code:

error: package javax.annotation is not visible
(package javax.annotation is declared in module java.xml.ws.annotation, which is not in the module graph)

I tried to specify compiler options for the build:

compileJava {
options.compilerArgs += ["–add-modules java.xml.ws.annotation"]
}

However I got compiler error after that stating that --add-modules flag is invalid.

Any help, please?

(sergey.morenets) #7

Important update.

The last issue happened only if I set sourceCompatibility/targetCompatibility to 1.9.

(Steve Felts) #8

The syntax is wrong. You need to add the values as two separate values.
options.compilerArgs +=[ “–add-modules”]
options.compilerArgs += [“java.xml.ws.annotation”]