Is there a better way to deal with juggling a source dependency and a maven artifact dependency?

I have a project called stubworld-corelib-android, which depends on stubworld-java-core, and here is the build.gradle file for stubworld-corelib-android:

dependencies {
      compile 'com.android.support:appcompat-v7:+'
      // use source dependency
    compile project(':libraries:stubworld-corelib-java')
      // uncomment this to use maven artifact dependency
    // compile 'com.stubworld.core:CorelibJava:1.0'
  }

Normally when I’m developing, I always directly depend on the source of stubworld-corelib-java, because this facilitates easier debugging and experimenting.

However, when I build a maven artifact, I can’t depend on the source of stubworld-corelib-java, because otherwise it produces an artifact that has invalid dependencies. Instead, I need to comment the source dependency and uncomment the maven dependency:

dependencies {
      compile 'com.android.support:appcompat-v7:+'
      // uncomment to use source dependency
    // compile project(':libraries:stubworld-corelib-java')
      // use maven artifact dependency
    compile 'com.stubworld.core:CorelibJava:1.0'
  }

This works, but it is really awkward with regards to build automation, because I need to have some hacky script that conditionally includes the right dependency.

Is there any way to perform this level of indirection in gradle instead?

What do you mean by “hacky script” vs. “in Gradle”? There isn’t currently a built-in way to easily switch between project dependencies and external dependencies, but depending on your exact needs, you may be able to script it right in the build script.

What I mean by “hacky script” is a ruby script that I call with an argument --build-with-artifacts which then goes and rewrites the build.gradle files – eg, it does the same thing as manually commenting / uncommenting the lines as mentioned above.

After that script completes, then gradle is run and it uses the desired dependencies.

Basically looking for a cleaner way to do this so I can throw away that ruby script.

In the simplest case, you can do something like:

def buildWithArtifacts = System.getProperty("buildWithArtifacts")
  dependencies {
    compile buildWithArtifacts == null ?
         project(':libraries:stubworld-corelib-java') :
         'com.stubworld.core:CorelibJava:1.0'
}

Then run ‘gradle build -DbuildWithArtifacts’.

On the other hand, since you’ll also need to script ‘settings.gradle’ (not) to include the ‘stubworld-corelib-java’ project, you can just check if the project exists instead.

For a more complete proof-of-concept, see https://github.com/pniederw/elastic-deps.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.