How to use tasks from plugins into type

class ResolverPlugin implements org.gradle.api.Plugin<Project> {
    void apply (Project project) {
        this.project = project;
        project.extensions.create("resolver", ResolverExtension)
          project.task('resolveManifest')
<< {
            File pomFile = getManifestFile();
            if (! pomFile.canRead()){

And I want to use the task resolve Manifest in build.gradle

task printDependencies(type: resolveManifest) << {
          resolver.manifestFile=configurations.getByName('askernelManifestFile').asPath
    println project.Libraries."com.oracle.jrf.infra.resources"
}

but it returns this error * What went wrong: A problem occurred evaluating root project ‘entsec’. > org.gradle.api.DefaultTask_Decorated cannot be cast to java.lang.Class

Also using gradle resolveManifest :resolveManifest FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

• What went wrong: Execution failed for task ‘:resolveManifest’. > org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.pull.XmlPullParserException: Unrecognised tag: ‘type’ (position: START_TAG seen …\n… @8:7)

‘resolveManifest’ is a task instance, not a task type. A task type is a class extending ‘org.gradle.api.DefaultTask’.

how about the errors when

just running

gradle resolveManifest

Is there a place where I can look at the intermediate files produced for dynamic tasks like resolveManifest. Assuming there is an xml file produced for this task.

sorry my bad, the exception is coming from the task itself,

Thanks for the reply, have changed to using

task printDependencies(dependsOn: resolveManifest) << {

since resolveManifest is an instance of task and not type

You can always grab the source code for Gradle and Groovy, set the breakpoint where it fails and debug the Gradle execution. I have ‘“gradle/bin/grd”’ script that is a copy of ‘“gradle/bin/gradle”’ with the last line set to:

exec “$JAVACMD” “${JVM_OPTS[@]}” -agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=8000 -classpath “$CLASSPATH” org.gradle.launcher.GradleMain -S --no-daemon “$@”

So to debug an execution I run ‘“grd taskName”’ and connect to port 8000.