How to set compiler target to Java 8?

Hello,

I am trying to build GitHub - Mithion/ArsMagica2: Ars Magica 2 Bug Tracker which is a bit older as it seems. I opened the project with IntelliJ and tried to used the Gradle integration to build it.
But there’s code that does not work with Java 6, so I get the following message when running the Gradle task “build”:

ArsMagica2/build/sources/java/am2/preloader/AM2PreloaderContainer.java:101: error: diamond operator is not supported in -source 1.6

I already changed the Project SDK and the Project language level to Java 8. I also changed the Module SDK in the project structure settings for modules as well as in the Java Compiler settings in the IntelliJ settings under Build, Execution, DeploymentCompilerJava Compiler. It still uses Java 1.6 as it seems…

edit: I also tried to check the repo out and then simply running ./gradlew build but it results in the same error as above. So I guess I need to set it somewhere in the build.gradle file.

So far I am running out of ideas. I tried to add some configuration to the build.gradle file but I don’t think I got the syntax right.

Do you have any clues how to fix this?

I was finally able to find a combination that works. I use this block:

apply plugin: 'java'
compileJava {
    sourceCompatibility = '1.8'
    targetCompatibility = '1.8'
}