How do I get build.gradle to leave .class files in the build/classes directory?

(Jon Austen) #1

How do I get build.gradle to leave .class files in the project_loc/build/classes directory?

Eclipse generates .class files and puts them (along with resources) into the project_loc/bin/test direcotory but I can’t figure out why Gradle won’t do similar.

My project_loc/build/classes directory is ALWAYS empty.

When I try to run my project from gradle.bat , I always get tons of errors ( as if gradle can’t find its own “Gradle Dependencies” directory) but the project runs fine on a JUnit Eclipse run configuration.

You can see my project source code at: https://github.com/djangofan/WebDriverTestingTemplate

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I have a feeling it is something really basic.

// build.gradle
apply plugin: 'java'
apply plugin: 'eclipse'
  sourceCompatibility = 1.6
version = '1.0.0'
  repositories {
    mavenCentral()
    maven {
        url "http://maven2.javacpp.googlecode.com/git/"
    }
    maven {
        url "http://maven2.javacv.googlecode.com/git/"
    }
}
  dependencies {
    // stored at: %HOMEPATH%/.gradle/caches/artifacts-14/filestore
    testCompile group: 'org.sikuli', name: 'sikuli-api', version: '1.0.+'
    compile group: 'commons-collections', name: 'commons-collections', version: '3.2'
    testCompile group: 'junit', name: 'junit', version: '4.+'
    testCompile group: 'org.seleniumhq.selenium', name: 'selenium-java', version: '2.+'
}
  test {
    systemProperties 'BROWSER': 'firefox'
}

(Jon Austen) #2

This is the kind of error I get when I try to compile from Gradle:

C:\Eclipse32\workspace\WebDriverTestingTemplate>gradle classes --stacktrace
:compileJava
C:\Eclipse32\workspace\WebDriverTestingTemplate\src\main\java\test\webdriver\ExtendedUtilities.java:5: package org.openqa.selenium does not exist
import org.openqa.selenium.By;
                          ^
C:\Eclipse32\workspace\WebDriverTestingTemplate\src\main\java\test\webdriver\ExtendedUtilities.java:6: package org.openqa.selenium does not exist
import org.openqa.selenium.Keys;

I suspect that I need some kind of build.gradle code to tell the gradle compiler where to find “Gradle Dependencies” so that the .class files can be successfully built?

(René Groeschke) #3

seems that you havn’t declared all your thirdparty dependencies. In this particular case I think selenium-commons is missing to get your code compiled.

cheers, René

(Jon Austen) #4

Ok, I figured it out.

I didn’t think I would figure it out.

I needed to change my dependencies like this:

dependencies {
    // stored at: %HOMEPATH%/.gradle/caches/artifacts-14/filestore
    compile group: 'org.sikuli', name: 'sikuli-api', version: '1.0.+'
    compile group: 'junit', name: 'junit', version: '4.+'
    compile group: 'org.seleniumhq.selenium', name: 'selenium-java', version: '2.+'
    compile group: 'commons-collections', name: 'commons-collections', version: '3.2'
    testCompile group: 'org.sikuli', name: 'sikuli-api', version: '1.0.+'
    testCompile group: 'junit', name: 'junit', version: '4.+'
    testCompile group: 'org.seleniumhq.selenium', name: 'selenium-java', version: '2.+'
    testCompile group: 'commons-collections', name: 'commons-collections', version: '3.2'
}

(Jon Austen) #5

What I ran into was a problem of having some of my classes in the main java dir as well as the test java dir and so I had to add dependencies that were reachable by both of those codebases (see above).

(Peter Niederwieser) #6

Everything that’s on ‘compile’ automatically goes on ‘testCompile’. Also, ‘junit’ and ‘selenium’ should probably only be added to ‘testCompile’, because production code typically won’t need them.

(Jon Austen) #7

I didn’t know that. Thanks for the tip.