How do I force gradle to fetch dependencies?

(Chris Jones) #1

I have a bit of Gradle code that queries the checked-out SVN sandbox for its SVN revision, using svnant and svnClientAdapter:

configurations {
    svnConf
}
  dependencies {
    svnConf "org.tigris:svnant:1.3+"
    svnConf "org.tigris:svnClientAdapter:0.9+"
}
  ant {
    taskdef(resource: 'org/tigris/subversion/svnant/svnantlib.xml',
            classpath: configurations.svnConf.asPath)
}

…and some more stuff.

This works fine if I’m using a local repository, but it fails when using a remote repository like Maven or Artifactory. Gradle doesn’t fetch those jar files before it runs the ant taskdef, which of course fails. I could put all this code into a task, and make that task depend on svnConf; but the whole point of this code is to set properties on the project itself (like project.version), so I think I need this code to run before the execution phase.

Bottom line: How can I make Gradle retrieve the jar files for svnConf right away, so I can run that taskdef?

(Peter Niederwieser) #2

There is no need to force anything because asPath will do this automatically. There is likely some other problem like repositories not being declared correctly.

(Chris Jones) #3

That explanation seems increasingly likely as we look into this further; thanks.

(Ryan J) #4

Hi Chris,

If you’re still watching this thread and are willing / allowed to share how you got this working, I’d be very grateful.

TIA, Ryan

(Chris Jones) #5

We’re storing our jar files locally, rather than grabbing them from Maven or Artifactory. So it’s really a non-issue for us. Also, I seem to recall that Peter was right and we had a different misconfiguration in our build system somewhere.

(Ryan J) #6

I can’t believe I made such a vague request. My apologies. I was actually wondering how you’re pulling the SVN revision from the local sandbox.

(Chris Jones) #7
// Read the current revision from SVN.
  // Set up the classpath and (ant) taskdef for the svn lib.
configurations {
    svnConf
}
  dependencies {
    svnConf "org.tigris:svnant:1.3+"
    svnConf "org.tigris:svnClientAdapter:0.9+"
}
  ant {
    taskdef(resource: 'org/tigris/subversion/svnant/svnantlib.xml',
            classpath: configurations.svnConf.asPath)
}
  ant {
    svnSetting(id: 'svnSettings', javahl: 'false', svnkit: 'false')
    svn(refid: 'svnSettings') {
        info(target: rootDir.path)
    }
}
// Extract the last path component of the SVN URL. This will
// be either trunk or the branch/tag name.
rootProject.svnBranchName = ant.properties['svn.info.url'].split('/').last()
assert rootProject.svnBranchName.length() > 0
  // Execute the svnversion command as an external process, and
// parse its output.
new ByteArrayOutputStream().withStream { os ->
    exec {
        executable = 'svnversion'
        args = [rootDir.path]
        standardOutput = os
    }
    rootProject.svnRevision = os.toString().trim().replace(':', '-')
}

This will set rootProject.svnBranchName to the name of the current branch of “trunk”, and rootProject.svnRevision will be the the output of svnversion.

(Chris Jones) #8

I believe I had to compile one of these svn libs from source, because they haven’t released a version since SVN 1.7 was released.

(Ryan J) #9

That looks like exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you very much!