How do I detect if a sub project has applied a given plugin (e.g. jar or war)

(Martin Ahrer) #1

I have a root project with 2 sub projects,

├── build.gradle
├── settings.gradle
└── jar
    ├── build.gradle
└── war
    ├── build.gradle

jar/build.gradle

apply plugin: 'java'

war/build.gradle

apply plugin: 'war'

I’m trying to detect whether a given plugin is present in a project and take different actions from the root/build.gradle:

build.gradle

//subprojects {
//
  if (it.plugins.withType(org.gradle.api.plugins.WarPlugin)) {
//
      println "Project $it.name: WAR == ${it.plugins.withType(org.gradle.api.plugins.WarPlugin).size() > 0}"
//
  }
//
  if (it.plugins.withType(org.gradle.api.plugins.JavaPlugin)) {
//
      println "Project $it.name: JAR == ${it.plugins.withType(org.gradle.api.plugins.JavaPlugin).size() > 0}"
//
  }
//}
  subprojects {
    if (it.plugins.hasPlugin('war')) {
        println "Project $it.name: WAR == ${it.plugins.withType(org.gradle.api.plugins.WarPlugin).size() > 0}"
    }
    if (it.plugins.hasPlugin('java')) {
        println "Project $it.name: JAR == ${it.plugins.withType(org.gradle.api.plugins.JavaPlugin).size() > 0}"
    }
}

With the respective plugin applied in the sub project build.gradle, the plugins are not reported as applied. However once I move the apply plugin statement to the root project it works:

project (':war') {
    apply plugin: 'war'
}

What needs to be done to make the plugins reported properly and still have the apply plugin within the sub project? I don’t want to move that to the root as I want to keep the sub projects as portable as possible.

(Peter Niederwieser) #2

The root project’s build script gets evaluated before the build scripts for subprojects. One way out is to resort to callbacks:

subprojects {
    plugins.withType(JavaPlugin) {
    }
    plugins.withType(WarPlugin) {
    }
}

An alternative is to have your own script plugins that subprojects apply as needed (e.g. ‘apply from: “$rootDir/gradle/java.gradle”’).

(Martin Ahrer) #3

Thanks, I understand that with the callback I will receive a call when a plugin has been added. Just implemented it and works perfectly.